Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp battery light?

93vp1car

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8
Hey recently my battery light has started coming on on my dash however the battery is charging fine..I've heard it is a common issue with VN's and VP's what could it be, regulator?? or just a short and how is it fixed?

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
if ya alternator is charging at 14 volts or thereabouts shows thats fine - ur battery can still shot tho it may look like its charging but not holding its charge - if its an intermittant fault could still well be a alternator prob or the charge wire may be loose or damaged

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Take a quick look and see if the terminal on the back of the alternator is bolted on strongly. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO THIS!

Also remove the alternator, and unscrew the regulator on the back (two screws) and check the length of the bushes sticking out the end. If they're less than 5mm long, chances are they're not making good contact, and you need a new regulator ($50).

jimmig81

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WH
I had this problem last week i was lucky and canged the alternator for a spare i had when the light is on disconnect the + terminal if the car dies then check bushes

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yup, voltage regulators are cheaper than replacing dead batteries :p