Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp break light issues

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
hey all i just got a vp berlina fully optioned everything works but the break lights wont work has new globes and fuses but still dont work? Any ideas ?

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Do the tailights work?

Have a look at the wiring and the globe holders, there could be wear or corrosion. If youre handy with a soldering iron and have a multimeter on hand, you can always cut off the wires to check to see if there is current coming through them.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Ur bulb holders will be corrored, can try sand em back so its not rusty, never worked for mine tho.

I just went round to wreckers grabbing what looms i could so i could make one good set.

Its very rare to find a vn/p tail light loom that isnt rusted out

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Also, check the brake switch under the dash. Little white plastic switch above the brake pedal, with two wires going to it. I've had a faulty one before. Just something else to check. Do the Indicators (rear) work??

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
everything works aside from the brake lights if i turn the lights on they come on like normal but still dont light up when the brakes are pressed

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
everything works aside from the brake lights if i turn the lights on they come on like normal but still dont light up when the brakes are pressed

as previously said its would be the brake switch on the top of the brake pedal arm.

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
well i had 2 in there... Just transfered wires swapped wires over and worked first time thanks heaps guys! I also have a problem with my elect windows passenger side works front and back no worries but neither drivers side ones work i have taken the door panels of and up close you can here it try wind up but down button i get nothing! ? Only tested the front so far but any ideas?

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 + 98 Jackaroo 3L TDi
here is a good one.

last week my brake lights just stopped working. i checked everything i knew of. fuses, bulbs etc.
then i left the car running at night with the headlights on and when i came back to the car i noticed that the brake lights were on..... :hmmm:

so i did some more investigating but came up with nothing. then all of a sudden the break lights started working normally?!?!?!?! :idea3:
so does anyone know of this issue? i drive in peak hour morn and arvo and hate the idea of them cutting out again.... because perth drivers suck and have a habbit of sitting about 3mm from your boot.... thanks guys....

Alex R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
pipzryd, i havnt had quite the same problem, but i would be checking the brake light switch on the pedal (referred to above), my car has two, one for lights and one for cruise control, and at times both have just slipped back in their mounts making the pedal not press the switch.

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 + 98 Jackaroo 3L TDi
cool cheers ill have another look, i was wandering why there was multiple mountings for them.... love your signature... lol