Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Buick V6 problem

crawjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey guys, I have a 93' VP buick V6.

problem: I come back to my car 10-20 minutes after having driven it home from work (1/2 hour trip). when I start it, it idles at a very low rpm and fluctuates up and down id say between 400-800 rpm.

I then put the car into reverse and it stalls more often than not, id say 3 times a week this would happen.

Ive recently had it serviced and cleaned the throttle body/air filter. The mechanic said "come back and see me when its happening constantly" - no real help there.

I've heard it could be my IAC sticking or my thermo playing up not letting the car reach running temp etc. If it is temp related I might as well mention that last summer she overflowed a bit of boiling coolant yet it didnt display any real increase on my dash temp gauge.

If this has happened to anyone else please let me know how you fixed it, or ill just take her back in to the mechanic.

cheers guys

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
id say its ur IAC, mine was playin up like this, full can of throttle body cleaner n she all good.

Does ur temp get up 2 running temp , ie the first notch on the guage, if it sits on the bottom after a good drive then u will need to change ur thermostat so it keeps tha car at running temp.

If its on cold the ecu riches up the air/fuel ratio making it run hotter to get to the running temp faster

crawjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
thanks mate, ive given the TB a good clean, and still no good, surges, stalls, my temp guage sits on about 1/4 on a normal drive - home from work etc. but has never risen to more than 1/2 way even when it overheated.

is there a way to specifically clean the IAC without wrecking it?

cheers

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Should be either the tps or iac, I'd tell you more about it if I wasn't so sleepy :), maybe tomorrow