Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP burnout car

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Dylan Hoermann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If its in great shape why use it as a burn out bus?? Most designated burn out cars I have seen have shotty paint jobs plus tend to be dinged up. This is of course unless things have changed as I haven't been to the speedway in years, where burn out comps and smash up derby's were common practice.

2. Dylan Hoermann

Dylan Hoermann New Member

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    I paid 150 for it, it's got some paint fade in common spots otherwise it's straight and the interior is immaculate. He said blow it had a blown head gasket but it was just a fucked thermostat

3. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Losh you obviously haven’t been to symmonds and lafm for a while then average skid pig is around 10grands worth of car ls1 and ls2 vns,vy and vz ss’s then you watch the mainland cars blown early Monaros blown toranas all just dedicated burnout cars times have changed in the last 5 years from a v6 vn welded diff rear brakes removed and a rattle can paint job lol

4. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Don’t get me wrong there’s still n/a commodore and falcons with selfies and no rear brakes I’m just stating that majority is higher end and more of a sport than a bit o weekend fun

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    When i went to burnout comps it was old valiant two doors with 340s. Yepp paint was nothing more than a flat black rattle can. The cars were trailered in as they weren't road worthy. Obviously times have changed.

6. Dylan Hoermann

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    Yeah I haven't been to a comp in a while but last time I went there was catorgies (6, 8, super) I just want to do decent In 6s and go from there, I've never entered a comp

7. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Yeah instead of starting first and hopefully grabbing and holding second most start in fourth and hold on limiter lol, good luck to you Dylan it’s a great bit of fun and a huge learning curve of the car you enter more you do yourself the better thermos fan on trans cooler (just a small thermo cheap from wreckers off a 4cyl would be a start) welded diff and just clamp brakes remove aircon and put shorter belt on

8. Dylan Hoermann

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    It's auto, unfortunately I've never skidded a manual. I literally just installed a belt -AC, I've heard it's more effort then it's worth removing the a.c components. I'm looking at getting a trans cooler soon hopefully

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Seems like a lot has changed in motor sport in recent years. I have been out of the scene for a long time. Im looking at racing the bike again this year but seems like there a million people doing it now. All new classes and rule changes. So much i didn't know as it must be over 15 years since i have been out.

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just bypass air comp by putting a short belt on. I had to do this the other week while i waited to have the AC repaired.

11. Dylan Hoermann

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    Yeah I got the belt for 20$ and installed it yesterday. I've done a few auto skids, stupid question but do I stay in first manging or should I actually try go to second?

12. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    I was referring to loshs comment about the old vals lol Only needed to unbolt the ac pump off the motor not that much power gain but being a 6 anything’s a gain and just the shorter belt done it to my vs back a couple years ago and just purchased a shorter belt from super cheap can’t remember what the belt was off but was in stock. Yeah get a trans cooler and mount the just a small thermo to blow a bit more air threw it biggest killer of autos is heat, also Remove all weight in the boot carpet spare wheel back seat etc

13. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Pump tires up to 70 psi smaller and skinnier the better and always half tread never put new on Start first up to limiter for 20-30 seconds and click into second wether it will hold second is dependant on the car just keep foot flat and remember points are for smoke speed and how much of the pad you use

14. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Yeah just a bit fun police have slowed it down more rules than you can poke a stick at which sorta takes the fun out of it and makes it more a sport than a bit of fun

15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Fun police thats exactly it. Bastards are making me drill my hi tensile caliper bolts so i can wire them, instead of Loctite. Plus you now need a secondary engine cover in case you chuck it away and grind the engine case enough to spew oil on the track. Yet they will literally let you make one from an ice cream container.

16. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I have a few mates and rellies involved in the burnout scene......Some of them have a dunger that has a rattle can paint job that they use as a thrash machine.

Others have beautifully presented cars, that are worth a small fortune,that they use to thrash. I even know a fella that uses a 80's era Vette, fitted with an LS1, which is a dedicated burnout car.

I've posted a couple of pictures of it, with different paint schemes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As for transmissions.....99% use autos.....Using a manual, you tend to fry clutches too quick

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    losh1971 likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    My mate converted a VR4 legnum to rear wheel drive and used it for skids.
    It was tiptronic so super quick changes and could sit at 240kph wheel speed on the spot.
    Autos for burnouts :)

18. Dylan Hoermann

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    I've sat there manging my vp out and got it to around 80km wheel speed, currently looking at trans coolers and trying to find 14s!

My steering rack has started leaking as well, are they easy to service or am I better off just replacing the whole rack? Cheers

19. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Easier just to put a cheap second hand one in plus points if you can get a non power steering rack out of a vk, but that comes down to personal preference, I like non power assisted and feel what the cars doing a lot more than I can assisted especially at speed sideways before tipping in

20. Dylan Hoermann

Members Ride:
    VP executive S2
    I'll have to look into, I've always had power steering so getting rid of it will be unusual for me

Is it worth running double throttle body or not really as I still have the stock intake manifold? I currently have a v8 throttle body