Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais - 5L Built/Conversion

hsvvp5i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Senator 5000i
I have always liked the look of the Vp Calais - yours is a very good example in white :yeah
I thought your intention was to keep the motor mild, reliable, nice street cruiser. Have you ever driven a car with that combination before ? - Crane 286, Harrop manifold, Hi compression flattop pistons . Anything over a Crane 276 cam you a going to need a Hi stall torque converter to match the cam + a very good turner or your car will conk out every time you pull up to traffic light's.
Plus I wouldn't go beyond 9.5 compression pistons in a 304 motor

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Picked the Block up late last week, Been acid tanked, bored 30 thou, honed, decked, cam bearings removed and new fitted, crank ground.

Im not sure on where to go from here atm, should I get new conrods or keep standard?
The plan at the minute is, hypatec flatop pistsons(already have a new set +30thou), minor head work,286 crane cam, all new valve/rocker gear, and usual bolt on gear, also wanting to run a bit of nitros, and in the near future will be looking at a Harrop lowrise manifold. What does this combo sound like to you guys?

Do you mind if I ask who did the machining work on the block and how much it set you back? (I am needing this done soon).

The combo you have mentioned looks good, flat tops and head work is a must for a 286, that cam is a bit of a dog without compression.

As mentioned you will need a stall to really make the the most of the cam.

JCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
yeah ill get a stall converter later on once motor's built. I havent been in or driven a car with that combo either.

after flat tops, heads shaved and block decked not sure what the comp will be

and machining was done by harman engine reconditioning in salisbury

got, acid tanked, bored, honed, decked, crank ground, removr n refit new cam bearings

JCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
anyone know someone who can tune stock ecus to suit

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various

JCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
250maew.jpg

JCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
No real updates, car is now retired as the daily tho as I got a vs now for daily hack. At the moment Im just saving and thinking where to go next with the motor.

Next purchases will be scat H beam rods, a balancer and flywheel so i can get all my rotating assembly balanced and together so thats out of the way.

and am thinking about going solid cam, but not sure yet. I am taking the motor somewhere else to get balanced and will talk to him about what i should do to the motor to get what i want, ill be hoping for around 250rwkw.