Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais Air Conditioner water leaking in footwell

XC-Buzzard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais V6
G'day guys , Air con has been making an intermittent, every few minutes or so, a high pitched buzzing noise , after being re gassed with an engine change , about 2 months ago, now just started yesterday, I have water dripping out from under the centre console dash area , giving me a soggy left boot , and a soaked footwell on long drives .. anyone know what's going on here ??

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
G'day guys , Air con has been making an intermittent, every few minutes or so, a high pitched buzzing noise , after being re gassed with an engine change , about 2 months ago, now just started yesterday, I have water dripping out from under the centre console dash area , giving me a soggy left boot , and a soaked footwell on long drives .. anyone know what's going on here ??
not 100% , generaly the heater core in most cases but should be hot and the colour of the radiater water. I do recall my air con guru say their is a aircon part under the dash but does it leak? It should be clean and not hot im guessing. Does it release water under the car as it should, or is it blocked.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Check that the drain pipe is clear and still connected to the trans tunnel

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep x2 its probably a blocked drain tube.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Clean the evaporator drain line with a wire tie until it drains freely. Don't use a screwdriver , piece of wire or anything hard to clean it because if you hole the evaporator replacing it professionally will cost more than the car's retail sale price.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Someone, not me, has drilled a finger size hole in the side of the heater box on the passenger side right down near the bottom. It's plugged with a tapered cork so it doesn't blow air during general use. With the plug out ` vDeedI can reach in with a finger and feel the top of the drain hole and feed a large cable tie DOWN the drain tube. A good mod. Much easier than doing it from below.
A `blocked drain tube is the likely cause of the OP's problem.HOWEVER, if tempted to drill an access hole as above, I recommend ensuring the heater box is drained FIRST. A week or 2 ago I noticed some water in the footwell after a drive and pulled the plug to clear the drain and about a litre of water gushed out into the passenger side footwell. That wouldn't be a good mix with an electric drill.

Last edited:

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Someone, not me, has drilled a finger size hole in the side of the heater box on the passenger side right down near the bottom. It's plugged with a tapered cork so it doesn't blow air during general use. With the plug out ` vDeedI can reach in with a finger and feel the top of the drain hole and feed a large cable tie DOWN the drain tube. A good mod. Much easier than doing it from below.
A `blocked drain tube is the likely cause of the OP's problem.HOWEVER, if tempted to drill an access hole as above, I recommend ensuring the heater box is drained FIRST. A week or 2 ago I noticed some water in the footwell after a drive and pulled the plug to clear the drain and about a litre of water gushed out into the passenger side footwell. That wouldn't be a good mix with an electric drill.
maybee a procees best not applied at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an idea the side hole is a standard feature on the VP - VS. IIRC i blocked mine off with sealant as the bung was missing.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Losh, you may be right but the hole is a bit rough looking. A wobbly circle so I assumed it wasn't factory. I've seen a few posts describing how to clear the drain from under the car too.
I made a bung by shaving down a cork from a wine bottle. Hard to get these days unless you've got a cellar of old wine or drink imported

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I have an idea the side hole is a standard feature on the VP - VS. IIRC i blocked mine off with sealant as the bung was missing.
was your ac orifice constipated and pissin on ya boot also?