Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais ride quality

FBEKEJEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 304
Hi guys, first post for me.
I have a VP Calais V8 which I purchased a year ago. I have slowly been working through restoring this to mint. Ride quality was not great when i purchased it so was the first thing to look at. The strut mounts were not in good condition, so these were the first things i purchased, I also bought new shock inserts. While fitting these i found the springs had been cut so purchased new standard height King springs.
Ride didnt really improve so i did the back end as well. Still seemed harsh to me.
What I have found made the greatest difference was the subframe to chassis bushes, these were completely flogged out so swopped them with some VZ ones I had on hand, noticeable difference... night and day.
I have also gone from 17" rims to 16" VY calais rims with 225/55/16 goodride tyres.
Will have to add a couple of photos but i dont have any small enough files for this site.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Will have to add a couple of photos but i dont have any small enough files for this site.

Try using a third party pic hosting site like Imgur which works well.

FBEKEJEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 304
Calais 1.jpg
20171209_115532.jpg

Photos. Figured out how to resize them.
Car is sitting on 17' VE Statesman wheels in these pics.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ooooh.....very nice.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
While fitting these i found the springs had been cut so purchased new standard height King springs.Ride didnt really improve so i did the back end as well. Still seemed harsh to me.

I the King Springs had "HD" in the part number, this may be why. HD = heavy duty = stiffer springs. What were the shock inserts?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi guys, first post for me.
I have a VP Calais V8 which I purchased a year ago. I have slowly been working through restoring this to mint. Ride quality was not great when i purchased it so was the first thing to look at. The strut mounts were not in good condition, so these were the first things i purchased, I also bought new shock inserts. While fitting these i found the springs had been cut so purchased new standard height King springs.
Ride didnt really improve so i did the back end as well. Still seemed harsh to me.
What I have found made the greatest difference was the subframe to chassis bushes, these were completely flogged out so swopped them with some VZ ones I had on hand, noticeable difference... night and day.
I have also gone from 17" rims to 16" VY calais rims with 225/55/16 goodride tyres.
fe2 is a good all round ride that compliments the irs. Shocks and struts/inserts are best all the same and suited to your spring height/ rate or it may feel unbalanced.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I had an HSV enhanced VP Calais from new, with the standard FE2 springs and shock absorbers. Never had any complaints about the ride or handling.

FBEKEJEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 304
yep i am sure these were a nice riding car from new. My Calais had been altered with cut front springs and super lows in the rear. Shocks were stuffed and the sub frame bushes were flogged out.
I tried new shocks and new standard King springs but didnt seem as good as i remembered an other VP excutive i had owned.
Currently I have VZ V6 front springs with the Standard King springs in the rear. Combined with replacing the Sub frame bushes the ride quality is not too bad. Why the VZ springs/ simply because i had them on hand and thought i might as well try them.
It may well be the the standard FE2 springs would be the best option for the car. Something I will definetly try if I can pick up a good second hand set.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Factory rubber bushes instead of aftermarket urethane bushes will also be more compliant.

FBEKEJEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 304
Factory rubber bushes instead of aftermarket urethane bushes will also be more compliant.

Yes thanks for the heads up had read that before.
here is the Car with VY 16' wheels and the VZ springs up front. Ride height is about right and comfort is pretty good now.

Need to mention one of the problems is the crap state of our NZ roads.
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG