Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais - VP Exec power steering pumps, same or different ?

-chikxxVPcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
just wondering if theres any difference between a vp calais (with variable steering) power steering pump compared to a vp exec pump (non variable steering)

the exec one fits correctly on my calais, but the outlet looks a little different.. the hole is smaller on the pump that came off my car

havnt ran the car with it on yet.. not sure if its safe to.. please help!

thanks in advance !

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
I fitted a standard rack to my v6 calais to clear headers and it was very light steering but drove around no worries for 2 years besides some good fluid leaks...

-chikxxVPcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
oh okay didnt even know u could do that.
ive just replaced my rack with a new one (variable), but a week ago i tired changing the pump (got the new pump off a mates vs calais), just the outlets looks different next to eachother, the opening for the fluid was smaller on my pump compared to the vs one..

just not sure as to weather or not that could cause damage ?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I have given you part of the answer in your other thread. Here's some more:

The standard and variable assistance pumps have different part numbers but, other than the outlets, are the same.

The outlets are interchangeable between the variable assistance type and the standard type.

The difference is that the outlet from the standard pump has what is called a droop valve in it. There's a spool - a small machined part - which is loaded against fluid flow pressure by a spring. The position of that spool varies with fluid flow, regulating the power steering fluid pump pressure that goes to the steering rack.

The outlet on the variable type pump is simply a hole. That is because the low speed assistance is greater, requiring higher pressure at low pump speeds, and the final pressure is being regulated by the control valve on the rack tower.

If there's any doubt, to check what you have, with the high pressure hose removed, the pump outlet fitting can be unscrewed from the pump. It should be obvious from there.

If the replacement pump came from a VS Calais, unless the pump has previously been swapped for the standard type, it will have a variable assistance outlet. While it's possible there is a difference between VS and VP variable assistance outlets, it is not something that I am aware of. Except for a steering ratio change, the racks are the same, so it is unlikely to damage anything even if it is (different). The only possibility is the steering weight may not be the same. If they really are different, you can swap the outlet from the otherwise identical VP pump into the replacement from the VS. Are you sure that it's not just the size of the hex on the fitting that is different?

There is a difference in the pump inlets between VS and VN-VR V6 due to the change in reservoir location but, once again, the pumps are the same and the inlet can be removed from a VS pump to suit the VN-VR reservoir location.

-chikxxVPcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
thanks man.
long story short.. rack & pump has been changed & car is now driving again !
not to how i want it to be, but still driving.
still need to work out wtf is going on with the steering, but yeah.
thanks for ur help !