Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Clutch not Returning

iSurgez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
Hey all!

finished the manual conversion of my VP recently, was going all well and good.
although tonight my clutch pedal stopped returning all the way back, clutch cable is not broken..

what could it be? could the clutch adjustment being massivly out cause it? or am i looking at something little more serious?

Let me know if you need any info i may have missed
Cheers

iSurgez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
nope was fairly slippery as it was. thinking it may need a bit of a grease up?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I reckon it's worth a try, throw-out carrier is probably binding on the shaft.
I had one do the very same thing, a bit of grease and it was sorted

iSurgez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
I reckon it's worth a try, throw-out carrier is probably binding on the shaft.
I had one do the very same thing, a bit of grease and it was sorted

yup throwout bearing had melted itself onto the shaft.. had to break it free.. new one on with bit of grease.. all good now :)

thanks for the advice!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I found from trial and error that is from a few clutch changes over the years that the plastic carrier is a major flaw and often overlooked as a problem.I have been chasing a clutch shudder over about 5 years and have finally fixed it ...I got rid of the plastic carrier and put in a steel one that used a throwout bearing similar to a old m20. Its stronger, dimensionally exactly the same and wont be affected by heat and keeps its position even when everything is hot around it .Its operation is tons more positive and I d wished id used it years ago. I did replace the bearing retainer as well but I think it wasnt a necessarity.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I found from trial and error that is from a few clutch changes over the years that the plastic carrier is a major flaw and often overlooked as a problem.I have been chasing a clutch shudder over about 5 years and have finally fixed it ...I got rid of the plastic carrier and put in a steel one that used a throwout bearing similar to a old m20. Its stronger, dimensionally exactly the same and wont be affected by heat and keeps its position even when everything is hot around it .Its operation is tons more positive and I d wished id used it years ago. I did replace the bearing retainer as well but I think it wasnt a necessarity.

whats an m20? have you got a part number for the steel carrier? is the whole part the same and ya just swap the plastic for the steel and thats-that kind of thing? cheers

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

likewise
I've had 2 plastic carriers just collapse on me. Anything heavier than a standard clutch will break them.
I ended up getting a steel one made up by Direct Clutch Services here in Qld

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
whats an m20? have you got a part number for the steel carrier? is the whole part the same and ya just swap the plastic for the steel and thats-that kind of thing? cheers
How soon we forget....M20 is the common 4 speed gearbox bolted behind many 70s and 80s 6cyl and v8s holden cars even some early commodores.
The steel carrier was from mal wood in Warwick and supplies parts like this for t5s or t56s and others... and contact him on the phone ...hes not cheap but knows his stuff
The install is a straight swap ..theres no ribs on the carrier so it has maximum strength.

Last edited: