Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP coolant sensor ecu problem fixed

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
revs drop slightly and it's a solid link between engine and wheels, ie no 'flaring' from the auto when you put slight power on.

locks up in 4th and 3rd beyond 90kph in a cable controlled auto usually i think, others i'm not sure

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Hmm interesting, thanks for posting this greenfoam. May be one of the problems im having..

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Just adding this for future searches etc.

For awhile I've had a problem of the VP running rich and the Torque converter not locking up for about 20 ks of driving then rapidly locking and unlocking. I figured it was the coolant sensor, no luck, was going to change the thermostat but tried another ecu and that was the problem. Somehow something in the ecu that reads the coolant sensor was stuffed. Since I've been tuning around this at WOT for a while now then car is now running a little lean on the top end so I have to redo the tune before Friday :p. Good news is that my fuel consumption should be fixed, it's been about 12l/100 for a while now and considering I do most highway driving and the agressive lean cruise (that wasn't working) it should have been well under 10. Anyway that's something for the future searches for those that get this problem

Legend :D Sure its going to solve alot of peoples problems. Including mine. I have the bad economy and my gearbox has been feeling abit dodgy around 100km/h. Feels as if its slipping... but not sure

revs drop slightly and it's a solid link between engine and wheels, ie no 'flaring' from the auto when you put slight power on.

locks up in 4th and 3rd beyond 90kph in a cable controlled auto usually i think, others i'm not sure

What do you mean by 'flaring' from the auto? Interested to know because I think I have this problem. Car also seems to run very cold

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
What do you mean by 'flaring' from the auto? Interested to know because I think I have this problem. Car also seems to run very cold

put your foot down a tiny bit, if the revs rise a little (auto slips) then it's not locked up. If the engine note gets louder but the revs don't rise instantly then it's in lockup

edit: just to make sure everyone here knows, lockup is a perfectly normal phase of gearbox operation

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
put your foot down a tiny bit, if the revs rise a little (auto slips) then it's not locked up. If the engine note gets louder but the revs don't rise instantly then it's in lockup

edit: just to make sure everyone here knows, lockup is a perfectly normal phase of gearbox operation

Yeah have noticed that. Definitely does that :bang: When I accelerate the slightest bit at 100km/h it seems to rev up and then after awhile settle down to normal and thats at a constant acceleration. I dont have a tacho but I can hear it by the exhaust note

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
I had this problem, thermo also wouldnt turn on properly first start, if u startedthe car twice the thermo fired up when its meant to.

Convertor is a easy one to pick tho.

The 2 vn/p ive owned have both eventually had this problem

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
I know this post has been up a while, but just wondering does anyone know if this problem may also effects the ecotec ecu's as they are different? Cheers!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it may do but ive not heard of many if any cases of it happening to them they are a much better manufactured ecu

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The coolant temp. circuit is a common problem on VN/VP ECM's. In order to increase the resolution of teh coolant temp. sensor signal and additional resistance is switched into the circuit by the ECM after a certain temp. (signal) is achieved. If the printed circuit board is cracked so that the additional resistance is not part of the circuit, a false coolant temp. signal voltage is read by the ECM.

A scan tool/software will show the temp. signal reading low.

To postively show TCC lock up, an LED and 1K ohm resistor placed across the battery + wire and TCC earth wire at the ALDL connector will work and not draw enough current to affect lock up operation. You can also use ALDL wires to lock up the TCC manually, although the standard ECM operation runs close enough to the limits of NVH (and damage to the TCC?) to make that little more than of academic interest - it's very easy to do though.