Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP coolant sensor ecu problem fixed

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Just adding this for future searches etc.

For awhile I've had a problem of the VP running rich and the Torque converter not locking up for about 20 ks of driving then rapidly locking and unlocking. I figured it was the coolant sensor, no luck, was going to change the thermostat but tried another ecu and that was the problem. Somehow something in the ecu that reads the coolant sensor was stuffed. Since I've been tuning around this at WOT for a while now then car is now running a little lean on the top end so I have to redo the tune before Friday :p. Good news is that my fuel consumption should be fixed, it's been about 12l/100 for a while now and considering I do most highway driving and the agressive lean cruise (that wasn't working) it should have been well under 10. Anyway that's something for the future searches for those that get this problem

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its definatly been the month for ecu's has it helped your slow warm up issue too mate .the coolant sensor circuit goes more than any other in these ecu's ive nearly lost count of the number that have the same issue

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
its definatly been the month for ecu's has it helped your slow warm up issue too mate .the coolant sensor circuit goes more than any other in these ecu's ive nearly lost count of the number that have the same issue

Yep I think because it was running so rich that was helping keep it cooler than it should have been, everything fixed. I knew it straight away when the converter locked up 200 meters from home lol been a while since that happened :). I'll be putting the few spare ecus I have in the cupboard I think, looks like I'll been needing them at some stage. It was my 165 that broke too :(

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
My VN never really warms up.. I've put a new standard temp thermostat in it and everything. On a cool day it sits barely above cold, on a hot day it gets nowhere near half gauge.

COULD this be my problem? I'm not really complaining and it's not really a problem as such.. it's just an odd anomaly :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Easiest way to tell is how long it takes the torque converter to start locking up, which should be 44c or pretty much as soon as you get up to speed over there in the desert :p. If it's buggered it wont lockup for ages. I'm guessing there must be a large percentage of VN/P's with this problem. If would really screw your fuel economy around town/in the city. Might be the explaination for alot of those guys that are burning 15l/100.

For everyone that's having problems running rich and anyone planing to keep their vn/p I'd suggest grabing a few spare ecus

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
For the first time in a while I noticed mine lock up on my own street today. I think mine migt lock up early :s like not even 1minute of driving.

Maybe I should just wait and see how the computer behaves with a normal motor (VR rebuild) and not my poo one (>>>500,000km poomotor)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah well you get pretty good economy considering your running a 50hp mill in your diff, lol