Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp dodgy locks

vpgirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive S2
Hey I had a look and couldn't find an answer for my problem, I have a 1993 vp executive s2, problem is the locks are dodgy as. I can't unlock either doors or the boot with the key, but I can lock them. I can only unlock the car with the remote after pressing the button 20 odd times.
The key won't physically turn to unlock and I don't want to break it, I tried the spare key thinking it might be the key, tried a bit of crc and that didn't work either... Key turns fine in the ignition so I'm kind of lost..
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

obbie

Reaction score
I have had door problems in the past when using key to unlock doors.
Is your key worn. I suspect not since you write that key turns fine in ignition.
I had my mechanic play with the door locks about 5 years ago in my VP. He didn't like stuffing around with the lock but he did ( I'm a long time customer) for $50 on top of my regular service. Got me out of trouble. Note I had removed door trim and attempted to fix myself before car went to mechanic.
Worth considering.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Hey I had a look and couldn't find an answer for my problem, I have a 1993 vp executive s2, problem is the locks are dodgy as. I can't unlock either doors or the boot with the key, but I can lock them. I can only unlock the car with the remote after pressing the button 20 odd times.
The key won't physically turn to unlock and I don't want to break it, I tried the spare key thinking it might be the key, tried a bit of crc and that didn't work either... Key turns fine in the ignition so I'm kind of lost..
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

This will be a faulty central locking actuator, most likely the driver's side. Go to a trusted wrecker where you can pick up the whole assembly (actuator + bracket & lock rods etc) for about 30. Not sure about the boot lock, that is a strange one - as their is not much to a boot lock unless after-market or properly alarmed...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i had a similar problem. the old key i had was so worn it was actually shorter than a new one. had a copy made and lubed up the locks with wd40 (graphite turned to sludge inside the lock for some reason, had to flush with wd40) and got the new key to work in all the locks. the old key doesn't even work in the ignition anymore.

also had the problem on my berlina where the drivers door lock wouldnt dead lock any more. couldnt psychically turn it, wouldnt go. took the door trim off and removed the lock, turns out the action was seized with rust. wd40 and heaps of repetitive key turning knocked it all loose, dead locks perfect now.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
best way if you are having a new key cut is to use the key code. The locksmith can cut you a better key from the code than from copying an old key.
New battery in your remote?
My locks were dodgy too. Driver's side rear never locked centrally and other doors sometimes didn't. (I don't have a remote). Finally took inside skin off the back door n found the actuating wire had come loose. Re-connected it n it wanted to work but was still a bit reluctant but after a squirt of WD40 and a bit of use it works fine and since then ALL the locks work all the time. Knock on wood, hope I haven't Jonahed myself