Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Door Lock Actuator Compatibility

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
My door locks are sticky on drivers door, sometimes not fully unlocking, i suspect the actuator is on its way out.

Are the door lock actuators the same for the drivers door and passenger door?

Also, does anyone know if door lock actuators work on the VP SII from other models like VN VP VQ VG VR VS, or perhaps aftermarket ones?

Last edited:

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
I’m also interested in a remedy for this, my daughters VP does it intermittently also.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've cured intermittently sticking electric locks by lubricating and adjusting the free play on the locking "jaw" that the actuator moves..

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
For the RHF door the actuator lever has to rest against rubber pad in the lock assembly. For the other three doors use the lock snub lock lever to lock and unlock the doors and adjust the actuator to get about 1mm free play on the jaws in the lock and unlock positions.
Been a while since I did this but the screws that need to be loosened are evident once you take off the door cards and see the lock and actuator. One the locks/actuators are set they should stay set. I've only had to do this once in 30 years odd of ownership.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hope this helps the explanation
View attachment 257474
Electrical solder dry joints due to age and vibration have been an increasing problem for most VP/VQ's over the last 15- 20 years. Look at the cluster problems for a major example.
Thanks for the tip, given the difficulty of finding spare parts these days this would be the first thing I'd check.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
My door locks are sticky on drivers door, sometimes not fully unlocking, i suspect the actuator is on its way out.

Are the door lock actuators the same for the drivers door and passenger door?

Also, does anyone know if door lock actuators work on the VP SII from other models like VN VP VQ VG VR VS, or perhaps aftermarket ones?

The actuators were the same up to VS, but they ran out before VS production finished in 1997, and changed to new actuator. A new-old-stock driver door actuator will be expensive if you can find one. Otherwise you have to change the latch to VT-VZ part to marry with new actuator, and that is also going to cost a lot.