Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp engine conversion

jmpez666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute, vp sedan
Hey guys, im wanting to do a conversion of some sort into my vp v6, im trying to find out which would be the easiest possible conversion, 304 injected, l67 or ls1....ls1 would be nice but sounds hard to do and expensive, anyone know the easier option?... Also will a t700 trans bolt up to these engines and can i keep the kickdown cable setup.?

matty94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VN Berlina
304 is the easiest everything is a straight swap over.

l67 is pretty easy will need a bit modding and a custom tune to keep the kickdown setup.

ls1 you will be looking at 7grand+ lots of custom parts will be needed and its not really the simplest conversion but would have the best results. You will need a adapter kit to bolt the th700(v8 gearbox) up to a ls1 and will need to get it built stronger to cope with the power.

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
how much all up for the l67 conversion n were can i get 1?

Jake.VScommo

Yeaa... About that... Umm
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Do an ls1 for sure :) only a few steps involved:
1: find ls1 and auto box
2: find a place online that does the conversion components like starter, gearbox spacer, mounts, custom extractors etc
3: get all the parts and bolts them on and have the motor and box ready
4: bolt it all in and hook it up:
5: first start attempt will result in spark, and will start for a split second then will stall,
6: solution ring a place that does conputer jailbreaks and tunes etc and they will unlock the computer resulting in car will run!!
7: car will need a tune to run properly then Wallahh ls1 vp :)
Only downside yes its expensive engine and box at about $2000 then conversion gear round $2500 and if u can do it urself then Theres a save, then jailbeak and tune around $1000
Hope this helps, doing this myself soon and have already been through it with a mates vs stateo

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
From experience, the 304 conversion takes less then a weekend if you have everything on hand.

You will need the K frame from a v8 model (about $150) and then everything as mentioned above is a straight swap. You wont need an engineers certificate for the conversion as they same model car came stock with the same size engine but you will need one for the LSx engine.

I have never done a LS swap but have looked into it and its rather expensive... I doubt you would see much change out of 10k after engineering....

But as I always say, it would be cheaper to buy a car with one of these engines in unless you come across the parts cheap as, and have the spare time to take on the labour yourself...

As far as price, the parts list for a 304 conversion when starting from scratch is only about 3k.. The rest is labour...