Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP exhaust possibly defective??

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes and because you paid 30 grand more for that car you at least expect one more muffler :). I don't know about this number of mufflers law but I'll beleive Morton even without evidence :)

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Every single car I've owned has only had one muffler (I get sports systems cheap), never been pestered about it either... Strange. Maybe this isn't the case in SA?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
When i got my cat back with no resi a few months back the lady at the exhaust shop said "you'll be back" and laughed. guess it must be true, mines still much quieter than other 8's i hear gettin around

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yes and because you paid 30 grand more for that car you at least expect one more muffler :). I don't know about this number of mufflers law but I'll beleive Morton even without evidence :)

The best evidence I can find online, is that NSW revised their regulations early last year (bearing on recent changes in muffler technology (wtf)) to eliminate the "standard number of mufflers" rule. So we can say for a fact this doesn't apply in NSW any more.

Whether or not this has been a nationwide revision, I don't know - but it was 100% definitely a rule before February 2008 in NSW.

So basically yes, it exists - but it's now being phased out.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
the VN's never had that restrictor in the intake, it only stops the front cyclinders runing lean, n the rear rich.

Series 1 VNs didn't have it. It was from Series 2 onwards where the came with the bellmouth in the intake.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
yea and then they put it in to make them idel smooth and not ruff as.... there no performance there tho, just the series 1's were a little different to the rest, eg thermostat location

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
One muffler is ILLEGAL, regardless of compliance with noise emissions.

Any vehicle must retain at least the standard number of resonators/mufflers and catalytic converters at all times.

The reason Calais/Statesmans etc are found to have three mufflers, is due to the funky V8 IRS exhaust setup that runs twins for a short length. 9 times out of 10, you'll be let off for having two mufflers on a system that used to have three. Not many officers are trainspotters like that :)

at least i'm not going crazy then :)

in my vn i got pulled up with only one muffler (and that 4inch tip) and the cop didn't say anything.