Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP exhaust possibly defective??

93vp1car

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8
Hey guys, i was pulled up the other day and told that my catback system was illegal because it only had the one muffler in the centre, knowing the cop from working at maccas he let me off and told me to get it sorted before next time....is one muffler illegal or was he bullshitting? As the shop i bought it from said it was legal, however I installed it myself. Do i need to reset my computer after this if so does anyone know how?
Also he had a good look at my cold air intake are they legal on green P's in nsw
thanks

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
wow if this is true theres alot of defectable vn/vp's out there! lol

hope it aint true :(

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Not sure about the single muffler setup being legal or not. So no answer from me.

You wouldn't need to reset the computer though...but for future reference, if you need to, unplug the engine fuse in the engine bay for 30 seconds, plug it back in and rev the engine to 3000RPM for 30 seconds (Once it's warm).

As for the CAI? Yeah, that is illegal. ANY performance modification what-so-ever is illegal whilst on your Ps in NSW

93vp1car

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8
sweet thanks for that im just waiting for the exhaust shop to open so i can get a slip for it that i can show for the next time he pulls me up :( il just have to talk my way around my intake though they kept looking at it but didn't really say much about it haha won't tell them about the restrictor we took out of the throttle body than :) haha

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
my vs is defective ahhhhhh.. and with regard to the CAI The wording used in the P Plater book is something like "It is illegal for a p plater to modify their car in any way that increases the performance index" Therefore saying that we have to drive dead stock standard cars...

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
sweet thanks for that im just waiting for the exhaust shop to open so i can get a slip for it that i can show for the next time he pulls me up :( il just have to talk my way around my intake though they kept looking at it but didn't really say much about it haha won't tell them about the restrictor we took out of the throttle body than :) haha

the VN's never had that restrictor in the intake, it only stops the front cyclinders runing lean.

i've heard that if a car came out with 2 mufflers, you must always have 2 mufflers on it. i don't believe it, but there are some stupid laws out there. of course it would be different for all states too.

VP calais have like 3 mufflers stock yet any stock commodore has 2.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

the VN's never had that restrictor in the intake, it only stops the front cyclinders runing lean, n the rear rich.

i've heard that if a car came out with 2 mufflers, you must always have 2 mufflers on it. i don't believe it, but there are some stupid laws out there. of course it would be different for all states too.

VP calais have like 3 mufflers stock yet any stock commodore has 2.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hey guys, i was pulled up the other day and told that my catback system was illegal because it only had the one muffler in the centre, knowing the cop from working at maccas he let me off and told me to get it sorted before next time....is one muffler illegal or was he bullshitting? As the shop i bought it from said it was legal, however I installed it myself. Do i need to reset my computer after this if so does anyone know how?
Also he had a good look at my cold air intake are they legal on green P's in nsw
thanks

One muffler is ILLEGAL, regardless of compliance with noise emissions.

Any vehicle must retain at least the standard number of resonators/mufflers and catalytic converters at all times.

The reason Calais/Statesmans etc are found to have three mufflers, is due to the funky V8 IRS exhaust setup that runs twins for a short length. 9 times out of 10, you'll be let off for having two mufflers on a system that used to have three. Not many officers are trainspotters like that :)