Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp getting to 3/4 before fan kicks in

Timmo4812

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
Ok so I do realise my answer is probably here somewhere...but I've spent most of the arvo looking and can't find it so here goes...

Owned my 92 vp for 6 years now and it's never gone above half on my temp gauge. I managed to bust the plastic nipple thingy between the water pump and thermostat and that's when the trouble started...

New parts:
Plastic nipple thingy (no idea what it actually is haha)
Radiator
Thermostat
Both coolant temp sensors
Gaskets for thermostat and water pump
Hoses are less than 12months old so is water pump(water pump was 2ndhand though)
And new coolant (obviously)

Installed and filled up and now my thermofan won't kick in till 3/4.
Checked wiring/relays/fuses/ecu all ok.
Had it down to an auto electrician and he told me everything is working fine. Then he tried telling me that's normal for my car...yeah right. If it's normal then why is it the first time in 6 years it's done it?

P.s. Yes I did bleed the air out too

So I'm hoping one of you car god people has an answer for me...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Does the Aircon. kick in the fan when you stop?,if so i wouldn't worry too much.My VN has a low K. VP Motor and the fan has a mind of its own,after stopping after a long trip it kicks in around the 1/4 mark but if left idling to charge the battery after a long period without running the gauge can get up too about half before kicking in.

Timmo4812

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
Yeah the air con will engage the fan.

It's a case of the last 6 years of it's gone over half there a problem somewhere...and now it'll get to 3/4 before the fan comes on and cools it back to half.
I don't like like the idea of my car being at 3/4 most of the time cause it's less time to react if something does go wrong.
Plus if I have a trailer on it goes above 3/4...

Would changing the pcm do anything..? The way I understand it is that it's telling the fan to come on too late...but don't wanna go buy one and find out it did nothing to help

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yeah the air con will engage the fan.

Would changing the pcm do anything..? The way I understand it is that it's telling the fan to come on too late...but don't wanna go buy one and find out it did nothing to help

I'm not sure,one of the Technical types on this Forum should eventually see your thread and comment.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The single wire temp sender for the dash is probably the wrong ohms there's a short and long version my guess is fans still coming on at the same time just the dash is reading hotter

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hard to say as don't actually know what temp those markings actually are at 1/2 3/4 etc
'
Mine is 93 vp with short sender...fan comes on at 3/4 mark too.

No idea if correct or not as just got gauge working so it's still very notchy

Timmo4812

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
The single wire temp sender for the dash is probably the wrong ohms there's a short and long version my guess is fans still coming on at the same time just the dash is reading hotter

So if I theoretically put the old temp sender back in the dash will read as I always see it..? Or take back the sender and get the right one..?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i may be a bit bias but if the sender isnt vdo then its prob the wrong one, vdo has always and still does make the original sender to suit the gauge just get the one to suit the VN-VS, the wrong one is the sender from the VB-VL commodores which use the same ohms but the operating temp was half and not 1/4ish and thats why it reads higher when used in the VN-VS gauge

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The VR V6 I had was 'overheating'. Would get to 3/4 and sit at 2/3 most of the time.

Previous owner replaced the radiator and I replaced the inlet manifold gaskets and that didn't fix it.

Grabbed the temp sender out of the Vq 304 I had sitting there at the time and it fixed it. Didn't go over 1/4 after that.

There are different senders for different clusters - it's just a matter of matching them up.

Timmo4812

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
Ok so I will test sender unit and check it against the manual...aint doing that till the morning though