Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP II S pack won't start

millar38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore.
Ok so this requires a bit of back story.
I bought this VP II S pack auto from mechanic mate for $150 because he could not for the life of him figure out why it would not start.
I put a healthier battery in. I put a new crank angle sensor on it (the diagnostic said it was faulty)
I put the proper harmonic balancer on (I was given the wrong one, it had a much larger counter weight than the one I needed) it didn't start for a couple days then miraculously started running like a gem.

Other than that I had it running for 3500 km or so. Couple nights ago I'm turning into a road and I got a voltage drop. The engine revs slowly die down, the lights dim, all the dash lights come on as if ignition is on.
I assumed it was a battery giving out so I pulled over and swapped over one I had in the boot. Nothing. Not even enough juice to turn the crank. Had to jump it off my mates Vt. It was turning over perfectly fine. But no spark was happening. I've never heard of all 3 coil packs breaking and I have run a multi meter on the battery and the plug to the coil packs. Both with 11-12 volts.

I'm at a loss at the moment. I checked the deadlock in the door pillar hoping it may just be loose but it wasnt. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears because I'm ready to take a hammer to the bloody thing in frustration.

I am sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere but this forum is most likely the last line of help before I throw the towel in.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
so you tried another set of coil packs? id try another ignition module too.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Dodgy Park/Neutral connector?

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
My vn done a similar thing, the alternator was not working and the car was using the power from the battery to run and it would edventually die. Turned out to be a wire that runs to the battery from the alternator was broke.