Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp lpg works but stalls when I switch to petrol

raggedyandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8L V6
Hey guys, I've had my vp for about a year now and it has always ran well on lpg but petrol has always been sketchy when you would switch it from lpg to petrol I thought this may have been a fuel filter or fuel pump problem so I did a service and changed them as well as air and oil filter(this was about 3 months ago) but now when I switch it to petrol it will stall if I am parked or will just lose all power while im driving until I switch it back. I checked the fuel filter it is still clean and my fuel gauge still gets a reading of how much is in the tank so I've assumed the fuel pump is still working, fuses and relays seem to be fine. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
sounds like the fuel line isn't holding pressure when the pump is not running. Either the regulator is faulty or the fuel check valve is worn. Don't know much about the VP but the regulator in later V6 models is located in the engine bay. That's the first thing I would check.

raggedyandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8L V6
Thanks for the response. I did a bit of research on this before and thought the fpr may have been a factor but didnt know how to test it. I believe it is located in the engine bay near the fuel rail and have ordered a gauge off ebay to test it. So once it arrives ill watch a tutorial on how to test it or ssomething. If the pressure is correct it should be between 280 and 320kpa right?

SSIN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXEC
Mate as far as I've been told with dual fuel cars you shouldn't switch fuel types with the engine running. Beyond that though your car may be tuned to run on gas. My mates Hilux runs great on LPG but when he drives it on petrol it runs like **** and backfires when he switches fuels.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
.....Mate as far as I've been told with dual fuel cars you shouldn't switch fuel types with the engine running. Beyond that though your car may be tuned to run on gas. My mates Hilux runs great on LPG but when he drives it on petrol it runs like **** and backfires when he switches fuels......

Not sure why anyone would say this - most current dual-fuel systems are designed to work by starting on fuel - and switching over to LPG after a pre-determined time or when the revs rise over a pre-determined point......and this always happens when the engine is running. It has to. There also needs to be a capacity to switch back to petrol if your LPG tank runs out while you are driving ?

:cool: