Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP odometer not turning

VPS92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S 5spd
hey everyone, how ya goin? i'm new to the forum, and had a little look around for an existing thread but i couldn't find one. Problem is that my VP's odometer is not functioning, and i wanted to see what you guys thought would be the most economical and/or simple way to fix this problem. whether to replace the entire cluster or even if that would fix my problem? cheers guys :)

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
you can buy the little gears on ebay for about $15. There's also info online about pulling the instr. cluster apart to get the job done. There is a way to get at them without taking the arms for speedo etc off their mounting pins. Good to avoid doing that if you can. Good luck with it if you haven't fixed already. Rob

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hey everyone, how ya goin? i'm new to the forum, and had a little look around for an existing thread but i couldn't find one. Problem is that my VP's odometer is not functioning, and i wanted to see what you guys thought would be the most economical and/or simple way to fix this problem. whether to replace the entire cluster or even if that would fix my problem? cheers guys :)

A replacement cluster will often have the same issue with a broken cog. You can replace the cog without taking the needle off - just a little tricky getting one small screw into place. Test it clocks over k's smoothly before replacing in the cluster. Also make sure you have all the missing teeth from the cog out of the speedo - if 1 tooth remains it can jam up the speedo and smash up the new cog in a flash. (yes speaking from experience).

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
another easy fix... if you have access to a self serve wrecker, pull a cluster out of a wrecked VS or something. dismantle the odometer and pinch the assembly of internal gears. Smaller than the size of a 10c piece

I found that the later VS's had nice strong plastic gears, where as the older ones were all brittle.