Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp or update...that is the question..

V

vp manual wagon

Ok well I got an executive wagon, thats a manual.. not that easy to find, but its got 288 000 on the clock, diff is making a bit o noise and the suspension is a little well squeaky, aside from that the car goes pretty good, runs fairly smooth, and most of all it's my first car and I do love it.

In the short future my family will have a bit of money coming in from selling a house, and my kind parents have said if I sell my car they will put in a few grand to get me something a little updated, im assuming VT etc.... My car has only ever once broken down on me and it was the fuel pump, big deal..

The question is, what should I do?

I was thinking get the car fixed with the extra moula, get the engine fully serviced, new diff, rims, etc, because the cars never given me any trouble really... I could be investing in a lemon getting a newer car..

Its just a hard decision, If I could have the opinion of a mature person and what the right choice is, that would be good.. as I need to make the right decision here haha

Thanks

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Easy decision, at nearly 300,000 the problems are just about to start, it will not remain problem free for the rest of its life. I would go with a VT or if you want to modifiy with spare cash then get a good VS. The ecotecs are smoother and will last longer in my opinion.

Steve.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well with our VS and VT commodores we have had quite a few problems, especially with the VS commodore. For cars with less than 170k on the clock they have caused alot of problems. Yet my VN has had very few problems with the engine, in fact none other than 2 power steering leaks.

IMHO the ecotec is no where near as reliable as the VN S2-VR buick engine, which any mechanic is likely to agree with. The VP commodore is renowned as the most reliable of the V6 commodores by most mechanics.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It can depend on how the car has been treated, too. Some people swear by the vn/vp, and others have no end of problems with them. I've seen a VP in my area with 500,000+ on the clock. The advantage of the older cars is prices for parts, too. Fixing a problem on your VP would be a good deal cheaper than getting the same job done on a VT.

Do you have an option for your parents to hold on to the money for you? Keep the wagon in good running condition, and do some cheap mods, and if you start to run into expensive problems later down the track, sell it and get an update then.

I'm not sure... that's just my opinion :) I've got a VP with 196,000 on the clock, and I'm hoping to hold onto it well into the 300,000 range before I sell and update (or get a new motor + manual trans dropped into the VP).