Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Problem Hard to Start and Black Smoke

NOOBshoes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive (ex. Police)
Hey guys i recently got a 92 VP Exec Auto (old police car) and i have been loving it. I had always wanted to get something a bit more powerful than my old car. Generally speaking it goes pretty well and has been well looked after.

My only hassle with the car is that it can be a bit hard to start (most of the time). It tries to turn over for a few seconds and can turn over without being revved but it stalls almost instantly. So at the moment i have to start it and rev it for about 5 seconds to make sure it doesn't stall. When i rev it when it's just starting it blows some black smoke out the back and the car runs like **** for 20 seconds (really **** for the first 5).

I don't want to waste money on replacing bits and pieces i may not need so i was hoping you guys might have some helpful advice on the probability of what is going wrong.

Thanks so much in advance!

NOOBshoes.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id check for leaking fuel injectors or a faulty fuel pressure regulator.The pressure regulator can leak fuel into the inlet manifold and cause hard starting and black smoke as it runs rich for a while until it clears itself of any excess fuel. Leaking injectors will cause a similar thing to happen.

NOOBshoes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive (ex. Police)
Id check for leaking fuel injectors or a faulty fuel pressure regulator.The pressure regulator can leak fuel into the inlet manifold and cause hard starting and black smoke as it runs rich for a while until it clears itself of any excess fuel. Leaking injectors will cause a similar thing to happen.

Thanks mate that does make sense! haha i was hoping for a reply just like that.

how much am i looking to replace them? and is there a way i can test either without expensive instruments?

groupa294

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn berlina, Vn calais
Hi mate When I rebuilt my VN It had the same problem when I Picked my reg Up from sprints I just asked for trade price and it was $99, I took mine back because they gave me a 92 S2 reg I needed 89 S1, so I got one off a low Km Car at the wreckers and paid $3, If you get a second hand one take the hose from the reg to the manifold of and see if theres any fuel in the vac line.
Hope This helps