Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Seized Engine or Alternator?

vphelpme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I'm know very little about cars so figure this would be the place to ask my question. I was driving home tonight when I heard a rattle under the bonnet. When I stopped there was a burning smell but couldn't work out where it was coming from. When I went to start the car again it would not turn over. This is a spare car which sits in driveway most of the time and hardly driven.

The RAA came out and tried to jump start but with no luck. He checked the oil and then said the oil was out and the engine had seized. After the tow home I tried starting it again and noticed the alternator was not turning although the belt was.

My question here is whether a seized alternator would give similar symptoms to a seized engine?

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
take the belt off and spin the alternator pulley. should spin freely. if you hear any loud bearing noise whilst its spinning or it doesnt spin at all, its buggered.

George

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
take the belt off and start it but not for too long

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
The RAA came out and tried to jump start but with no luck. He checked the oil and then said the oil was out and the engine had seized.
Has it got oil?
Does it have little bits of metal on the dip stick and mixed with the oil?

I was driving home tonight when I heard a rattle under the bonnet.
Does the motor turn over or you just get a clicking sound like it's seized?
Take the belt off and spin the alternator if it spins freely the put a socket on the bottom pulley and turn it over by hand, you should be able to feel some play in the motor or if it's seized.

vphelpme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Thanks everyone - took off the belt. Alternator was seized but the car started first go. RAA got it wrong this time.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Silly bugger should have taken the belt off.

vphelpme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Wondering why the towtruck guy was so keen to buy parts of my car? Something suss?????

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
sounds a little sus hey. When i did my trans in 1 of my local mechanics told me it costs more 2 get even a second hand trans than it would 2 replace my car. He offered me 500bux 4 it. Now thats sus cause i got a trans that got rebuilt in 02 4 only 600