Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Series 1 Commodore (Idle is too high?/Overheating problem.)

icePiK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore (S2)
Hey was just wondering if anyone knew where to adjust the idle on the vp series 1 w/3.8. Is it up where the throttle cable is on the top? It seems lose like there is no tension but still works when ur using the foot. Apparently it has overheated before and i'm looking for that problem also... The heat sensor only seems to go up when the car is at a standstill and isn't losing water. What's with that?

This is not my trade, but i'm capable. Just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- icePiK

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
the idle is controlled by the computer, the iac valve does the work. you can take your throttle body off and clean the iac valve (and throttlebody) which may help your issue. you can do a search for IAC and you'll find some threads that will help you out. where does it idle anyway?

there are 2 cables on the top of the throttle body, one is the accelerator cable and the other is the kickdown cable which alters the transmissions shift points. tighter = hold gears longer.

does your thermo fan kick in when idling? it should. thermostat might be the culprit as well, a good flush of the system and a new thermostat might fix your problem if the thermo is working :)

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
My vn started to idle really high ... I cleaned throttle body with 1/4 can carbie cleaner then let it sit for 20 mins then I got a can of wd40 and sprayed it all over the cables and inside the body where butteryfly is and sprayed in there as I opened the throttle ... I then adjusted kick down cable and idles great now and accelerator pedal is not as stiff and more respnsive and changes gear smoother ..

with your overheating problem , try flushing radiator with garden hose ... but it sounds like your thermostat is sticking ...

You said the car gets hot when not moving , this would point to waterpump or thermostat or a blockage in the system ...

get the garden hose and stick it at full blast in all the 2 main hoses .. so your flushing all the dirt and crap out ...

My car when sitting at idle in park will slowly after say 4 or 5 mins get to half temp on guage this is normal , when you drive the waterpump works faster circulating water so it dont get to hot ..

Last edited: