Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp starts but wont rev

vpshtb0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 wagon
i recently bought a vp v6 wagon and was told the only thing it needed to run was a fuel pump and ignition switch. i replaced both of those and the car starts but, the first few times it starts, it will only run for about 30 seconds then stall. after that, it could run anywhere between 5mins - 30mins before stalling again. also, it will not rev. if i rev it up slowly it will go to about 1500rpm then die. if i rev it suddenly, it dies immediately. today, i discovered a severed wire from the computer (brown with white stripe) and was wondering if this is the problem or was it severed for the purpose of running lpg..? the lpg system is no longer in the car as the tank was out of date and it wouldn't run at all (only backfire) on gas. i tired to put the car into diagnostics mode and apparently the fan is meant to come one, then cut out, then the engine light will flash the codes. however, the fan comes on and just keeps running so, i never got any codes. as i've only ever really worked on v8s, i don't really know whats going on with this thing. any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance :)

hotweelz

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS II Statesman (With a SunRoof ;)
Have you replace the fuel filters, and maybe air filter, as with the diagnostics mode, the fan will stay on until you turn the ignition back off

vpshtb0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 wagon
turns out that the severed wire is for the engine light. as for the way it runs, someone told me the map sensor, the computer, the fuel pressure regulator or the tps may be stuffed. i've got a pressure reg and a tps to try in it tomorrow. see how i go.

vpshtb0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 wagon
turns out the fuel pressure regulator was stuffed. it was pumping fuel into the vacuum side. however, i replaced it and the car won't start at all now. was thinking that maybe the only reason it was starting in the first place was that the fuel was leaking straight into the manifold. i tried changing the efi relay but no difference. any ideas, anyone please???