Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP stereo/speakers

jezstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
hi i was interested in putting some new speakers into my vp commo but im not really sure where to start, the front two dont work and the back ones are poor quality, is there a guide around or can someone point me in the right direction?

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Do you have 6" pod speakers in the doors-If so replace them for a start
Do you have 6" speaker or 6-9's in the parcel shelf replace them too.

If you have 6" in parcel shelf i'd recommend replacing them and see how it goes would not cut out holes for 6-9's if you don't already have them even though i have done this isn't n really necessary.

If you have 4" in the dash do them and the parcel shelf first as that is where the best sound quality comes from.

Depending where you go this may only all together cost you about $220.

any other Q's post em up mate.

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
beig a vp i assuming you have standard 4" fronts and 6" rears

i wouldnt bother butchering your parcel shelf for 6x9, you can buy raisers ( aka spacers) for around 20.00 that make the job easier not to mention it is illegal to modify the metal parcel shelf

what sort of sound quality are you after and what sort of budget do you have in mind?

as for a guide im sure ive seen one somewhere around here try doing a forums search but its pretty straight forward and if their isnt one let us know ill do one up in the coming weeks when i upgrade the lexcen's speakers

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
With regards to your rear speakers, i wouldn't use the factory locations, have a look at them, you'll notice that they are all the way right back and fire towards the windscreen. That's factory audio for you, and is less than ideal when chasing good sound quality. If your going to replace your rears, personally i recommend mounting them on the front section on the parcel shelf, there's a deep grove underneath it, you'll see if you remove your shelf, this space generally allows sufficient depth for a decent 6-6.5 inch speaker, and will give far better clarity, and will only require the cutting of the pressed fibre shelf only... a 6x9 however will genereally require a spacer to fit though, depending on it's mounting depth..If your picky and you don't want to modify your front door trims, (VR/VS pods dont match with the VN/VP colour theme) then there are plenty of decent 4 inch speakers out there,(FOCAL!!) will sound pretty decent, there are some advantages to be had, using the factory location compared to a pod, is the dash mount will fire directly and upwards towards you, while the pods will project the sound down around your legs..Once that's all in a properly amplified and tuned, you'll notice a huge difference..Also being a VP, it's factory sound insulation leaves a lot to the imagination. You'll find with a decent setup, you will get a lot of resonating from the boot and rear shelf, which can be overcome with sound sound deadning material ( such as Dynamat) and some undercarpet underlay.

Last edited:

elteng

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VP SS
Do you have 6" pod speakers in the doors-If so replace them for a start
Do you have 6" speaker or 6-9's in the parcel shelf replace them too.

If you have 6" in parcel shelf i'd recommend replacing them and see how it goes would not cut out holes for 6-9's if you don't already have them even though i have done this isn't n really necessary.

If you have 4" in the dash do them and the parcel shelf first as that is where the best sound quality comes from.

Depending where you go this may only all together cost you about $220.

any other Q's post em up mate.
Hey I know this is an old post but what would you recommend brand wise?