Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP. Strange transmission problem.

puztin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore executive.
Hey all!
So i've got a strange problem and im hoping the transmission wont need replacing.
I had a problem a week ago where a radiator hose split, and i fixed it but the car kept overheating. Long story short i put some chemweld in and it fixed it right up. Couple of days later i removed the bellmouth from the intake manifold. Now i only note these two problems because they MAY be related.
Now, my transmission is slipping. It will stick in first till about 60 then finally change into second, and going 100 down the freeway it will stay in third and its really rough to drive. Took it to a transmission place, and they unlinked the throttle pressure line, it seems to change better once it finally gets into second. Another thing i noticed is it changes alot better when it is cold.
Now, i have no idea what the problem is.
I checked the engine for fault codes, and all i got was 12 (all good)
Hoping someone here can shed some light.
Thanks!

Jordo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl turbo/ vn supercharged
U prob allready checked this, but did u make sure the kickdown cable was in the exact the same position after u put the bellmouth back on? I had a bloke put a trans in my car, but he didn't pull the kickdown cable thru enough, it changed out of 1st very late, and slipped under load. I noticed it the moment I drove 50 odd meters. I guessed straight away, got out, pulled a bit more thru using the push button adj. Did this twice to get it right, and all was great. As I pulled the cable thru I felt that there were two levels of tension, the second a bit stronger than the first. I set mine just a bit into the second level of tension. Ive got just ova 300atw and it's felt fine. Basically the more cable u pull through, the higher the line press Don't ova do it tho, too much press will destroy ur trans, so will too little. Hope this is ur prob, if it isn't, u may well b up for a new trans. Good luck:)

baalamb20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S1 2003
Hey jordo, all you have to do is push the button and pull the cable back towards you all the way and then turn the throttle like you are reving the car and it will click into the position that it's set for, I did the same as you and could never get it right until i found a post on here about resetting the cable.

puztin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore executive.
Heh guys, thanks for the replies. I tried adjusting the cable but there was no difference :(

Jordo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey jordo, all you have to do is push the button and pull the cable back towards you all the way and then turn the throttle like you are reving the car and it will click into the position that it's set for, I did the same as you and could never get it right until i found a post on here about resetting the cable.

Ahh i see. Cheers,Didn't kno that. That clears something up for me too... coz the trans guy swore he'd adj it right, and I'm now sure he did what u have said. Thing is with mine tho, I have a custom kickdown linkage down the side of the motor rather than on top, coz of my s/charger,85mm throt bod and custom u-bend in the way. The cable being in a completely different location mustve altered it on mine.
mustve made the factory method not work for me?

Jordo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a shame, perhaps the only Cheap and ez thing left to try now is a complete trans fluid change? Mabey u fully cooked the fluid? After that I guess any further testing will require opening it up and looking:(. At least u can get a th700 2nd hand for 150-400 bux, Not too pricey... I just sold a mint 78000km th700 and new corvette servo installed for 400. Also have u considered your converter may b stuffed? I'm unsure how to test this, but I'm pretty sure a converter could produce symptoms that u describe? Im sure others here can correct me if I'm wrong:)

puztin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore executive.
What do you mean by converter? And how much is that to replace?

baalamb20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S1 2003
Torque converter is like a silent 5th gear it goes into, normally your car goes into 4th around 60-80k but when the car gets to around 90 - 100k the revs drop again and the torq locks in so it doesn't have high revs when on the freeway :)