Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp temp gauge

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have a vp with a v6 engine and have a strange issue with my temp gauge ..it takes a lot to get it moving off cold and it just gets to over 1/4 before I hear the fans cut in . It has a L3 dash and when I had a cooling fan relay issue and fan didnt start and engine temp went up ….the over temp light and chime came on but the gauge stayed at a little over 1/2 . I have swapped sender units in the manifold and check the power on the sender unit connector when not connected to sender and it went to 10v so voltage reg in cluster is good . Assumed gauge is issue so I replaced it but displays same thing . Where do I go from here ?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
There should be Threads on here about that,apparently there are sensors with different resistant ratings,the result where the gauge barely gets above a 1/4 means it has the wrong sensor.
Not saying its your problem but worth changing sensor.

Reactions: Lex

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
If you look on the Tridon it lists a gauge sensor TTS062 for all models in my vp range…but changes to TTS064 in vs ..the only other difference is the other sensor that feeds the ecu that changes from TCSO40 to TCS070 on vs Ecotec engines
IMG_2391.png

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I guess you've checked the connections and earths?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Quote "If you look on the Tridon it lists a gauge sensor TTS062 for all models in my vp range…but changes to TTS064 in vs ..the only other difference is the other sensor that feeds the ecu that changes from TCSO40 to TCS070 on vs Ecotec engines".

If you are silly enough to take Tridon data as gospel that's fine,but having dealt with VN-VP's for 30 years i'm saying there is differences in the resistance on sender Units that causes the Temp. gauge to barely move,may not be your problem but at least check it out by replacing sender.last post by me.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VN - VS all use the same temp sender for the gauge it sits just on or over the first line/segment and gets to about half when fans kick in v6

VB - VL all use same temp sender for the gauge it sits about half all the time

the issue is some places sold the earlier VB-VL sender for the VR-VS which will make it read half at operating temp and about 3/4 when fans come on the only difference between the two senders is the mid way point (operating temp) dead cold and hot is still same on both, if ur reading lower then the first line then u may have sender issues or a colder running engine

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
‘’If you are silly enough to take Tridon data as gospel that's fine,but having dealt with VN-VP's for 30 years i'm saying there is differences in the resistance on sender Units that causes the Temp. gauge to barely move,may not be your problem but at least check it out by replacing sender.last post by me.’’

Sorry if I annoyed you …I was just trying to see what’s out there …I have a couple of spare old senders but it hard to check what resistance they read if you put them in boiling water to see what you get ..I have a factory book and it says this
IMG_2392.jpeg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I would have thought dash issue....mine worked correctly when v6 then when did v8 conversion actually swapped sender that was in v6 to the v8 just in case they were different.

It does weird stuff like yours does now seems to take forever to hit operating temp unless it's a hot day only goes to operating temp when fans come on so assume that is 96-98 degree turn on point Joe@Ace put in memcal.

Even on a warm day cruising along temp guage drops between cold & operating temp...if weather cold enough only touches operating temp line sitting in traffic....hot day seems to work correctly.

So yeah interested in what you find but still think vp dashes all have issues lol

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
"still think vp dashes all have issues". I'd have to agree- probably 50% of my time is spent sorting out problems with my level 3 dash, cluster switches and associated systems.
Still low readings of what's essentially an ohmmeter points to bad contacts in the wiring or PCB.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just get it up to operating temp when driving around, take the sender wire off and use multimeter on the sender and see if its reading 97 ohms which is the first line it should be reading at, if sender is about 97ohms or lower but gauge reads lower then first line prob gauge issue, if sender is reading higher then 97 by a bit then engine may be running lower temp and need a new thermostat or sender is an issue