Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP temp guage reading high, maybe?

Glenn Littleford

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Ute V6 Man, 06 VZ Sedan V6 Auto
Hey would anyone have the resistance table ( temp V ohms ), or the VDU model, of the temp sender used for the gauge in a VP V6? Note this is different to the temp sensor used by the ECU.

My VP has been reading hot according to the gauge, the needle moves from middle to just under H with normal highway driving. Radiator is new-ish, thermostat replaced. Air-con on of off seamed to make no difference.

One time I pulled into the servo, the gauge was just under H, but the thermo fan was cutting in and out as though the car was at normal operating temp. I could put my hands on the radiator pipes, it was hot but not that hot. So I suspect there is a problem with the sender. I can pull the sender and heat it up in a pot of water with a thermometer and multi-meter, but need to know what the figures should be first.

Glenn

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you have an infra red thermometer I'd check it with that first. I use mine to diagnose & tell me if I'm in the ball park with any cooling problems before I start pulling things apart.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Double it's got no water leaks & full capacity including overflow.If it's full of cruddy water give it a good flush.

Then bleed water system correctly...may take 2-3 goes.You'll notice temp needle sit lower for longer periods each time.

The v6 that came with my vp ute always went between 1/2 & 3/4 even with all new parts thrown at it by previous owner...fan cut in/out correctly & didn't look like it overheated just temp gauge seemed too high...once air was all bled out it would take ages for fan to come on the first time it would just sit on operating temp line.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The GMH VQ green book says check that the body of the sender has a good earth when checked against the battery earth and that you have +10V at the sender plug wire when its disconnected.
The gauge signal from the sender unit to the gauge for a V6 should be (in the manual's words):
Cold 283 ohms
Middle 56-68 ohms
Hot 36-44 ohms

Glenn Littleford

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Ute V6 Man, 06 VZ Sedan V6 Auto
Thanks. Yeah looks like the temp gauge was right, it had air pockets in the system. Bleed it properly and all good now.
Ta for those readings MikeC, they match what I tested it at.

Glenn

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Do it again in a week or so...will probably be better again you'll notice it on temp gauge.

Heater on,front up on footpath or raised then open bleeder valve untill no more bubbles.

Other thing that made a surprising change was good memcal tune when it had the v6.