Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP to VS Dash Conversion Wiring Help

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
What about the 4wires that used to go to the old headlight switch connector Id say whoever owned the car befor you has already bypassed the dimming circuit

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a new Commodore
You are looking at them. There were 5 though.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Drama is that on a vp when you turn the lightswitch on it supplies a 12v+ on the brown wire for instrument lights and park lamps and a negative on the white/black wire for the headlights.
On a vs it supplies a negative on the white/blue wire for the headlight and also a negative on the blue wire.You need to make that blue wire supply a negative to a relay to switch a positive to the brown wire to get the park and instrument lights to work. After you do this you can also get the domelight function to work on the headlight switch ....you need to unconnect the purple wire to the orange/white wire and join another wire to where you joined the white /green and white wire (as per my directions in post 16 above) and run it over to the r/h side to join with the purple wire and then get the spare black wire in your bottom picture and join it to the other black wires already joined by the red connectors.
To get the dimmer to work is a fair bit more difficult but I never use it anyway.
Getting back to the lefthand old switchblock functions I have a way of putting the dome delay in the circuit by using part of the old circuitboard and also a way of installing the stalk mounted wiper switch so all the wiper functions work including intermittent.See this diagram in post 16 how I got it to work http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1988-1993/18098-windscreen-wiper-switch.html

Last edited:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK I have wired it up as per your diagram, but I see no changes. That may be because there is too much light to tell if the instrument are illuminating or not, so I will check again tonight.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Have you put the part with the relay in ? you need it to put 12v+ on the brown wire when you turn the headlight switch.... if you have it all wired up and it doesnt work you may have blown fuse 1 or fuse 16 If its working right the park lights should work too.

Last edited:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
What do you mean put 12v+ on the brown wire?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
When its all wired up and connected correctly when you turn on the vs headlight switch ,the relay contact should put 12v+ on that wire

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well there is no change. In your diagram I am suppose to have the brown wire on two relay connectors so what I did was add a short piece of wire together with the brown wire that connects to pin 86 that extended to pin 87. I also ran a piece of wire that connected to the purple wire around the back of the dash to the green wire with white stripe.

Is that right?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
No sorry about the colours they probably are hard to pick up ...I might label the colour of the wire...Ill modify my diagram.....I have coloured the new wires you have to run to the relay red in the diagram.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,265
Last edited:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep wired it up per 2nd diagram and I now have parkers as well as lights illumination on the cluster working. The AC and Rear Demister button now glow when the lights are on which is good, but for some reason the hazards don't. I rechecked the fuses and the bulbs in the cluster to see if that was causing the lights not to work but that are all fine. Would it have anything to do with the other wires on the rear demister that aren't connected to anything?