Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP - trick to putting in piston seals?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i put the new seals in my calipers, but can't get them to go in properly. the inner ring is fine, but the front boot (that goes into the grooves on the piston and caliper bore) i can't figure out how to put it into both grooves. if i put it in the bore first, i can't get the piston in, and if i put it in the piston groove first i can't get it into the bore grove.

am i missing something?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
cant put it onto the piston then insert it?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
lubricate bore with brake fluid. fit inner seal into bore and make sure its not twisted and is fully seated. put boot onto piston. position piston into caliper bore seat boot into groove in the bore. ensure boot flange is squarely and seated firmly.
push piston in by hand . exactly from the gm book

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
and make sure your not building up pressure by removing the fluid feed bolt

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Pow3rslave

Make sure you place the inner piston seal in the correct way round. It is tapered slightly and the larger diameter goes in first, so that it seals against the piston under pressure.

Then insert the outer boot and make sure it is seated fully in the bore.

As Zuicider said, you then need to lubricate the bore very liberally with clean brake fluid. It's a lot easier to assemble the caliper if it's off the car - you can place it firmly in a vice, with the bore facing upwards, to leave both hands free.

Place the piston into the outer seal with one hand and using a small smoth plastic or wooden spatula (like a paddle pop stick for example, feed the outer boot around the full circumgerence of the piston. make sure you keep the piston sitting agains the caliper so the boot won't just slip off. Once you have it threaded on all round, push the piston firmly into the bore, making sure it is square. It will be very firm because of the new seals but it will slide in.