Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Ute level 3 dash lights not working

Dean.W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 5spd
Hey... I installed a level 3 dash cluster the other day, without the use of the 4th plug (didnt want to use it) but anyways. Installed everything correctly, plugs all pushed in correct and in the right spots. But when i went to drive the car at night the cluster lights didn't turn on. I've checked all the fuses, they're all good. I've done a basic search on this forum but can't find much help. Could someone please help??

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The back lights for the gauges are not part of any L3 upgrade and should work in the cluster anyway.

So the issue may be to do with the L3 cluster or globes in it. Swap the globes over see how that goes.

Dean.W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 5spd
I swapped them over and they still dont work. BTW the cluster is out of a vp v6 calais
Nothing else is wrong with it, everything seems to work fine

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I swapped them over and they still dont work. BTW the cluster is out of a vp v6 calais
Nothing else is wrong with it, everything seems to work fine

Did any of the plugs in the dash pop out? Check the middle plug (blue one) is up the correct way - also replace the lights fuse or swap it just in case it looks OK but is blown.

Dean.W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 5spd
The blue plug looks to be all good and around the right way.... I didn't touch any of them. And i replaced the fuses

When i did the conversion i also swapped all the switches (the headlight and windscreen wiper assemblies) from the calais to the ute... My ute headlight switch broke. So when i did the conversion, the hazard switch was on the left, so i extended the plug over to the right.
Would this make a difference??

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
How's the wires on the back of the cluster? Did you get the puff of smoke?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The blue plug looks to be all good and around the right way.... I didn't touch any of them. And i replaced the fuses

When i did the conversion i also swapped all the switches (the headlight and windscreen wiper assemblies) from the calais to the ute... My ute headlight switch broke. So when i did the conversion, the hazard switch was on the left, so i extended the plug over to the right.
Would this make a difference??

The L3 switches for the VP are very different to the L1 and L2. I normally put the guts of a VN L3 switch block into the black VP case for the wipers and just use the same VP headlight switch block.

If you have used the L3 headlight switch I'd say this is the issue as the dimming aspect is probably controlled via the BCM (and slider on the side).

You can use the L3 case to fix your headlight switch block (very brittle the black plastic)

Dean.W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 5spd
When i turn the lights on i've got light on the headlight assembly switches (like power antenna, cruise control etc) but no lights on the tacho, speedo, fuel or temp.. I've got the warning lights

Dean.W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 5spd
The L3 switches for the VP are very different to the L1 and L2. I normally put the guts of a VN L3 switch block into the black VP case for the wipers and just use the same VP headlight switch block.

If you have used the L3 headlight switch I'd say this is the issue as the dimming aspect is probably controlled via the BCM (and slider on the side).

You can use the L3 case to fix your headlight switch block (very brittle the black plastic)

..... So how would i do this? and whats the switch block??