Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp V6 Commodore Issues - Spark & Fuel But No Go

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
So just picked up a Vp bench seat wagon dirt cheap from a local garage that was selling it on behalf - good work wagon.
The issue is the owner tryed to jump start it with the jumpers the wrong way & it hasnt gone since - garage replaced the fuel pump & had the security bypassed. So i got it home checked it has fuel & spark which it has & replaced the ecu but still just winds over. After winding it over if you leave it a bit it will almost start for a second or 2 then back to nothing - ive checked all fuses & relays & looked for any melted wiring but all looks good. All dash lights are coming up & every things working fine just no go.
Anyone got any ideas where to look next - might be a bit more to this than i thought. Cheers for any ideas

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Try a dfi module .where are you in nz

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Try a dfi module .where are you in nz
Im in chch bud - think shes got some hidden damage in the loom. Thing started this morning revving at about 2000 - touch the throttle & she'd die. Messed round with it a bit more & got it to rev but missing farting & backfiring - have tried new coil pack which made no difference. Tried another throtlle body with good sensors then she wouldnt idle at all but still missed & farted etc trying to rev it. Swapped that back she started & idled at 200 again, shut it off now she wont go again so im thinking might be new loom time. Cant find anything burnt but who no's what damage the guy did - shes definitely not a happy chappy

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
How sure are you that all security systems have been bypassed?I put a Dick Smith anti theft system into a HQ about 30 years ago that was designed to give just the above symptoms- the theory was that when the thief tried to steal the car he would think the car had major engine problems after a few attempts at trying to get it to run and then give up.
With the anti theft system operating it would still run, cough and then die if the throttle was opened. Might be worth having a look for any unusual boxes in the engine compartment.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
It has been bypassed but think the issues is something burnt out in the loom so just going to replace it - big job but done it a few times before....

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Ok, this is a bit left field but double check that the spark plug leads are on correctly. If the original owner had been having difficulty he may have had leads off and got them back on incorrectly

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
It has been bypassed but think the issues is something burnt out in the loom so just going to replace it - big job but done it a few times before....

The loom is only copper wire, each of which is protected by fuses in the car, so before any wire would even think about burning, a fuse would blow first to protect that from happening.. it sounds like your ECU or one of the sensors faulty (like CAS) and feeding bad signals into ECU.. you could also check if your EFI is working by unpluging a fuel injector and put a multimeter (set on AC) on the 2 pins in the plug, you should get voltage there while trying to turn over (check all 6).. you could also try turning off or bypassing the factory immobilizer properly (if you have the key) with the switch on the passenger side door frame front around the glovebox height (only accessible while door open).. these things can prevent the engine starting, but then you said it did start rough at some stage, which can mean leads in wrong order as mentioned before.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
I ended up fixing it - i found the previous owner must have had issues with the fan not working on the radiator so to sort that the bright spark decided to drill a whole in the engine loom grommet on the firewall to run some wires through to a switch he fitted. Now instead of drilling straight this bright spark drilled off to an angle going right through the center of the loom taking that out - obviously this is when he must have flattened the battery trying to start it so out come the jumper leads which he put on the wrong way & fried everything.
I ended up just chucking a Vn column change loom in it to get rid off all the security **** & solve the fan issue in one go - put a new engine loom in - new maf sensor as that was fried as was the sensors on the throttle body. New ecu & coil pack as well, so after all that i've got a mint running old vp wagon to use as a work horse. Only owes me $200 at this stage but yeah a lot more in time spent but it will work well round here.
So i'm sure this will give many a laugh as to the shear stupidity of the original owner, nothing much surprises me anymore but this one sure takes the cake haha

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Good news,that's a first,drilling into the loom.