Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp v6 coolant flush plug locations

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
hey so i have just done a coolant flush on my vp, but am pretty sure i missed a plug so i dont think i fully flushed it. i originally thought that the screws on each side of the engine (a few inches below the exhaust headers) were the correct screws/plugs but when i've taken them out today, no coolant came out. so i put them back in and started undoing random bolts that i could find and found one on the timing case cover (just below the water pump where the yellow circle is in the following picture), and a fair bit of coolant came out, but i was always under the impression there were 2 plugs you needed to undo to fully flush the coolant.

Commodore2352.jpg

can anyone explain to me or put a picture up where the second plug is?

cheers for any responses :thumbsup:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
you have undone a bolt that holds the water pump on by the looks of it, the thread on these needs to be sealed so you will have to use loctite on those when the thread in the block is dry otherwise the coolant will work it's way through the thread.
Not sure about a Buick V6 but the Ecotech uses the knock sensors as the drain plugs, one each side, your motor only has 1 of these so I'm guessing there are some plugs up under the exhaust manifolds.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
There is one plug on each side of the block under where the exhaust mainfolds are, it is a small plug sitting in the middle of no where, it should be obvious once you start looking in that area. Or you could just undo the lower radiator hose.