Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp v6 starter doesn't disengage fast enough

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
My 93 auto v6 starter motor won't disengage quick enough I'll start the car and will hear a noise like it's been started and and try starting again while running, would it need to be lubricated with grease or something. the car starts no problem just won't disengage quick enough sometimes it will last for like 3-5 sec while idling. it's an auto but has a manual starter if this helps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try using the correct starter motor maybe? Sometimes there is a shim between the starter motor and the engine block to space it out a little to ensure the proper gear mesh between the starter pinion and ring gear. Without the shim you may find that the pinion is actually binding against the ring gear.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Don't know how similar they are but some years ago I replaced the starter on my 202 HJ with a newer type that has the planetary reduction gears. They are housed in a light brown plastic casing and this gear casing cracked all around it's edge and the two halves separated slightly. Made the pinion move along the shaft slightly closer to the ring gear so it wasn't retracting enough when you let the key go. Ran some super glue around it and it was good for about 4 years till I sold it.

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
Try using the correct starter motor maybe? Sometimes there is a shim between the starter motor and the engine block to space it out a little to ensure the proper gear mesh between the starter pinion and ring gear. Without the shim you may find that the pinion is actually binding against the ring gear.

it is the correct starter motor for my car Holden released auto transmission with manual starter motors. standard auto starter motors won't fit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well, try fitting the starter motor shim and see what it does.