Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp v6 starting problem URGENT HELP PLEASE

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Hey guys, so over theist few days my vp has developed a starting problem. When I go to start it, it won't crank, nothing at all, acc works fine, just doesn't do anything when you go to turn it over, it starts when I get it roll started, and sometimes just starts on its own, I've been told its the starter motor, which if the case I have a replacement second hand, I need my car for my new job tomorrow, and can't have this problem continue and wreck an excellent opportunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
I would slap the new starter motor in if you have a spare one sitting there anyways, should only be a 15 to 20 min job and you will know if it fixes the problem straight away

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
There wouldn't be a thread on how to in the forum would there?

Jessie VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT CALAIS
Disconnect the battery( important), car up on jack stands so u can get under the engine, disconnect the power supply and trigger wires, undo bolts holding starter on, usualy 2, compare the new starter to the old 1 and installation is reverse

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Depending if you have air con or not you may need to remove your LHS exhaust manifold.

But its a fairly simple job. Disconnect earth from the battery, tuck it out of the way, 13mm nut on the starter for the main power feed, the trigger wire to the solenoid, remove exhaust manifold and just undo the two bolts holding the starter in from underneath.

But do you have a test light ? What id do first is take off the trigger wire to the solenoid (small wire that just clips on) stick the test light into that and the other end of the test light to a earth and have someone cycle the key for you. Least this way you know you are getting a trigger to the starter and its not a fault with your ignition switch etc. Also check the power lead to the starter make sure its tight :)

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Thanks mate, I'll give it a crack

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Just as a tip with starter motor issues. If you can hit the starter with something like a large spanner (anything hard to reach it) while someone cranks it over, most times it will start if that's the only problem. Never had that fail on me in many different cars. Sometimes if you give it a few taps then try to crank it it also works (if you're on your own). Don't have to hit it hard, you're not trying to break it (or your knuckles if you miss). Of course it's better to replace it as the guys say, but handy to get you out of a jam. (Had a mate that just did that for months as he couldn't be bothered changing it over - each to their own I guess).
Funnily enough that actually works for a few things. Got stuck interstate on a long weekend once due to the fuel pump. Finally found a mechanic who suggested trying to give the fuel tank a kick as a worn pump can sometimes let the spindle slip out of alignment, a jolt gets it going again. Worked a treat for a week until I had a chance to replace it. (but you get some odd looks in a shopping centre getting out, kicking the tank or smacking the engine with a spanner and getting back in to start it).
Good luck, hope the new starter is a good one and solves it all.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Before you go to the trouble of changing starter motor clean the battery terminals properly and clean the battery to earth connection. Might be all you need to do

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Already changed it, fired up nice took her for a small drive. And same problem, so starter motor isn't the problem. I don't know what could be. When I got it home however it cranked over

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
NOW maybe try cleaning the battery terminals