Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VP v6] What is normal temperature?

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
OK, so VP Berlina, s1 V6, no mods at all. I know very, very little about what goes on under the bonnet.

For the past bit-under-a-year that I have had it, the temperature gauge has not run above the first major tick:
temp1.jpg
. It never got above this, no matter what I was doing, what the outside temperature was etc. It fluctuated a bit in the green zone, but not much.

3 weeks ago, it suddenly goes up to 3/4, and quickly get it back home. Flushed the radiator, and it seemed ok.

It was a week ago I noticed that it was getting back up to half:
temp2.jpg
. Took it to Holden, they said it was all working fine.

Then a hose blew that connects the water pump to the engine (manifold is it?). RACV man fixed that, and also flushed the radiator. Temp still gets up to half (like above).

However, it will now not get to above half. What it does get to half, the thermo fan will come on, and move it down a bit:
temp3.jpg
. This only occurs in traffic, when stopped at lights/peak hour. The fan kicks in, brings it down, but it will go back up, then down, then up, then down.

However, if I travel at speeds >40km/h, then the temp gauge will go down to 1/4:
temp1.jpg

Holden have told me this is entirely normal for this car. Is this true? Is there a reason why it now registers such a variance in it's temps, when before it didn't?

- I can visibly watch the temp gauge rising when stopped at lights, take about 2 minutes to reach the fan-kick-in stage.
- excuse my lovely drawings, they may not be entirely accurate but they help explain.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
The half way mark is normal operating temperature but the fluctuation seems a bit odd, i would check the thermostat operation (follow the upper coolant hose from the radiator to the motor, theres 2 bolts you undo..) if not perhaps get your temp sensor checked out, theres 2, i would suspenct it COULD be the one responsible for showing temp on the gauge only, the other actually comunicates with the ecu to adjust fuel flow (automatic choke)

Although i would be checking the first option first to see what the deal is

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The whole range is normal operating temperature. The actual normal temperature is 90-104 degrees. Unless your running performance stuff.

In my VR i ran high performance coolant and it kept the car soo cool. Yes i got worried when it got up to 3/4 in peak hour traffic on a 42 degree day, but then i worked out the range and it was all good. As long as your car doesn't hit the HOT section or stay in the cool section it will be good.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
the half way mark is 90 degree's or thereabouts, and every 'tick' afterwards is a 5 degree increase, with 110 degrees being the boiling point with the correct presure cap

spoonfork

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
I noticed your temp gauge diagram only has 4 whole units. My VP berlina has 5 units (see pics). It normally operates at the point indicated on my diagram. But can drop down a whole unit when the fan kicks in.
I've had it for 14 years and it has always behaved like this and has never been a problem. I do agree that you should get your Thermostat checked out.

you can test it your self by putting some coolant into an old cooking pot and suspending the thermostat in the coolant with coat hanger wire. heat up the pot of coolant with thermometer over your stove and check to see if it opens and the specified temperature. If it doesn't open, it's no good and you'll have to replace it.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 672