Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V6 will not start!!!!

v8supra

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp5.0
G`day guys,i have a vp 6cyl that left me stranded on the side of the road a while ago,sitting at traffic lights it just shook violently then died,hasn`t started since!!I have replaced the fuel pump and filter,checked for spark which is good.I pulled the(infeed) fuel line off just before the rail and when primed there is plenty of fuel going into the rail.None comming out past the fuel pressure regulator but i`m not sure if there should be any when the engine won`t start???It will start if i squirt some aero start up the intake but only untill it runs out of that (few seconds).I`ve put a test light on the injectors and they are getting power so as far as i`m concerned this car should start and should never have stopped in the first place!!!Ive done a search and there was only 1 post with the same symptoms as mine but there was no final answere to the problem.Also have checked for error codes but code 12 only comes up.Any help please guys before my anger makes me do bad things to this car:bang:
cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you should get a bit of fuel going past the reg if the pump is going at the time.plugs wet or dry ide say the ecu isnt triggering the injectors pull off all the injector plugs then put one probe of a multimeter in the pin hole that doesnt feed the injectors 12 volts and connect the other probe to earth with the multimeter on ohm's and wind the car over to see if its pulsing

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Spark from where? If the rotor button or distributor cap has died you can have spark from the coil lead but not at the 'plugs.

If there is no check engine light with the ignition on 'reds', the anti-theft system eg. over ride switch is also a suspect.

v8supra

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp5.0
thanks for the replies,Further tests have proved the injectors are not pulsing!!I got another ecu and still no start.I have no check engine light .Does the factory immobiliser stop injector pulse???
How do i bypass this system??
cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
factory immobiliser normally stops pump as well so if its priming wont be that i dont think my bet is its not getting the dizzy module/ pulse to the ecu like someone else had a problem with on here not long ago oh flag that did you say its V6 not V8.my bad looking at your ride said VP5.0.dfi is the same for V6 probably not getting rpm pulses to the ecu and its just running in module mode spark.thats why it runs on either but wont trigger injectors.ide maybe find a dfi to borrow and try.or check the wiring at the dfi

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I was thinking V8 too (with the dist. cap).

The fuel pump will operate anyway with oil pressure present on V6.

Without power to the ECM on the terminal from the factory immobiliser, there will be no injector pulse (nor ignition timing control - spark will still be present), nor will the CEL be lit with the ignition merely 'on' (as distinct from during cranking where it should be off in any case). If the CEL stays on while cranking, perhaps the DFI or associated wiring might be the problem.

There will be a key operated switch in the passenger side 'A' pillar that will bypass the immobiliser function if you have the key for it - it should have 'Zadi' on it somewhere. If not, the wires can be bypassed at the connector hidden behind the galvanized steel shield riveted to the body behind the passenger kick panel.

This should help some:

http://www.memcals.com/pdf/VN_V6 Wiring Diagram.pdf

v8supra

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp5.0
Delcowizzid my daily ride is a VP 5.0 ute but i got a vp V6 berlina wagon as a spare car.The car i wish i`d never brought!!!This DFI you mention is that the plate under the coil packs??I`m a V8 man and this is my first v6(and the last) but i`ll get hold of another dfi and see what happens.
cheers

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it could be the immobiliser still as stated above do you get the check engine light come on with ignition just before the cranking stage.

v8supra

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp5.0
Thanks cheap 6...i don`t have the key for the doorjam switch but if replacing dfi doesn`t
work i`ll look at that next..cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Silly question, but have you checked your EFI fuse and relay?