Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp V8 coil wiring and type

kingswood

kingswood 304
Reaction score
Members Ride
hz kingswood
could any one tell us what wires go to the ignition coil what colour they are and what terminals they go to. also what type of coil is suitable. is a GT40 coil suitable.
Thanks in advance.
Joel and Doug

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
GT40 aren't really suitable IMHO, I've gone through a few coils until I installed an MSD Blaster SS which only cost $120, haven't had coil problem for a couple of years now. As for the wiring, isn't your old coil still attached?

kingswood

kingswood 304
Reaction score
Members Ride
hz kingswood
No the old coil is off, this engine and wiring was taken from our vp series2 berlina and transplanted into an HZ sedan, have wired it up with a pat gardner wiring loom, the engine cranks but no spark, have narrowed problem to no power to the distributor, wondered if we had a coil that would work, power at the coil but no trigger from the dizzy, think it may have something to do with anti theft device but not sure.......any one please help

Doug And Joel

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
This sounds like the perfect time to buy a manual. You need the troubleshooting guide to the electronic ignition. With the high energy module (square box with bosch on it) it is a little more complicated to make sure the trigger signal is getting to the module. You need the wiring diagram but in short the coil is connected to +ve at all times when ignition is on and when cranking the switching happens through the earth side of the coil and the ignition module. I would still reccommend a blaster SS coil.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Anti theft device can be defeated (if you are not using the alarm and central locking etc from the VP) by wiring in a new power feed from the fuse box to the +ve side of the coil. Remember to make sure the feed you choose has power when cranking as well as at "on".