Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp v8 into vs

redxbcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
xb coupe
hi guys newby here got a question my brother inlaw has written off his vp ss its got 355 stroker init. hes spent a lot of cash on the motor and auto. he has been look at buyin a v8 vs statesman and wants me to put the 355 and auto from the vp into the vs.is this a simple swap them over or is ther more to it than that.any advise would be great thanks

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Straight swap. 1 motor out 1 motor in. Use the Later models loom and computer. You would have to get the VS chip modified to suit the 355 stroker settings might be able to use a series 3 chip I dont know, the Stato has some security stuff so get the chip written to include them. I thinkl Greenfoam does Chips he would know more about it, I just know that if you dont include the security stuff then the motor wont start, if its removed from the chip then your engine light is always on.

redxbcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
xb coupe
ok thanks sound easy enuff but what about the auto as i have done a search and found that the vs autos are electronically controlled and the vp is vacumed controlled he wanted to use the vp one as its just been recoed so does there need to be something done there as well thanks

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
You will have probs there I think. I'm pretty sure he would have to use the box from the VS. You could try it and see what happens but I don't think it will work properly. would go and see his Auto place and ask them for advice there, he may be able to use the convertor and stuff if hes beefed it up or it might just be worth selling his and beefing up the vs 1.

redxbcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
xb coupe
ok i will get him to give them a ring thanks for the help

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Put the engine and auto and ECU from the VP into the VS and everything will work. Or use the VS ecu and leave the VS box in

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I thought you were not allowed to put an older model engine in a newer car? Thought you could only put newer engines in old cars? Hence you could put a VS motor in a VP but you cant put a VP motor in a VS. Unless you get it certified by and engineer. Dunno thats just what I have seen other people say.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
I thought you were not allowed to put an older model engine in a newer car? Thought you could only put newer engines in old cars? Hence you could put a VS motor in a VP but you cant put a VP motor in a VS. Unless you get it certified by and engineer. Dunno thats just what I have seen other people say.

i believe that is true also as i had a mate look into it and was told your not alloud to put a vr 93 engine into a vr 94. but heaps of people get away with it and most cops are not going to check

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
your not allowed to put a motor from a older car if it does not comply with a emishion standards of when the car came out so vr v8 into vs is fine but for instance you could not put a non ecotech motor into a vs

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can run a VL VN VP VR VS motor take your pick in a VS since they all pass the same ADR emmisions test so that's no problem. You can put a non ecotec in a VS no problem. The only reason people think otherwise is people like this ^ spreading the same old rumour around over and over again. I've been trying to correct this for years but seems I still haven't won :) You absolutely legally can put a carby 304 from a VL into a VN/S but due to this long time rumour alot of the less informed mechanics and even a few noob road engineers will raise an eyebrow at you but that's ok just ring a smarter one