Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp v8 oil leak

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i just had my sump gaskit replaced coz it was leaking at the front of the motor , the merchanic told me i should do the rope seal while the sump was off with an up dated seal that they make , so i sed yes even though it wasnt leaking , but now thats its all back together its now leaking from that seal and im pissed , is there anything that i should know about these stupid seals

nakaz81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L 134 pack
find out if its a neaprane seal or a rope seal 1st.either way the sump has to come off.to find out what seal you have.grab the engine number and go too holden and they will tell you.i think that you have a rope seal and it wasnt installed properly,they trimmed the ends flush and didnt put a small blob of silicon on the ends.proper instalation requires a small part of the rope seal protrudeing still and a small dollop of silicon on the ends of the two halfves.

nakaz81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L 134 pack
if it is a ropey seal and you do it your self,there is a tool you can buy called a sneaky pete.it removes the old seal,and installs the new one.i think they are 50 odd bucks.....