Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP varying engine temp

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
Hi, I recently bought my first ever Commodore, a V6 VP wagon in awesome condition, only 135000 kms. Absolutely loving it!! Anyway, I've noticed that the engine temp varies quite a bit. It goes up to just a touch over half on the gauge when I stop at lights or when I'm driving up hills but usually it drops back down quite quickly. I spoke with 1 person who said his did the same. So I was wondering is this common?? Do I have any thing to be worried about or am I just being paranoid? Would appreciate anyones thoughts, Cheers

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
That would be the engine getting hot while stationary/moving slow which reduces the air flow. The thermo fan will kick in around halfway (you should hear it) and drop the temp back down.

Not an issue at speed because there's enough air flow through the radiator to keep the temp down.

So, in short, it sounds like it's working properly.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I wouldnt imagine it to jump up much if at all going up hills (smallish ones not mountains), without knowing your definition of "hills" its hard to say if thats average readings. I find drving about town at lights and just pulled up for periods of time thats very normal. But at speed (100kms) than pulling up normal highway hills that the temp gauge dosent move at all. Driving up constant hills to Mt Hotham it dose (but to be expected).
If you have some cooling system concerns just do a few basic checks.
*Check there is coolant is your cooling system - As its a new car maybe a coolant cange is in order as you may not know how long its been in there
*Check for cooling system leaks and coolant usage
*Often radiator places will offer a free inspection/pressure test

But from what your saying it dosent sound to serious at all

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
Thanks guys. Yeah I can hear the thermo kick in but it doesn't bring the temp down, just seems to maintain it at around half. I've just never driven a car where the temp changes so much. I guess I'm just worrying for nothing. I may ring a few radiator places and see if any will do a free check, thats a good idea. its definetly not using or leaking coolant but i suppose it could be a bit old. thanks again, appreciate it

Alex R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
Sounds about the same as mine, I was a bit concerned at first too but I have been driving it like that for more than a year now and it hasn't tried to boil yet (touch wood). Oh, except when the plastic water inlets broke on the inlet manifold... replace them with brass, immediatly!