Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VP - VZ] How To Put Together An IRS Diff DIY Style + How To Identify An LSD

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You got lucky, mine wouldn't budge with a crow bar so I made a puller at work instead.

Yeah, a good whack with a heavy copper faced hammer normally gets it moving for me.

I've just started on the diff out of the missus car, got a spare single spinner in there ATM but it's a PITA, gotta get that LSD fixed with some new gears. Old gears are ####ed, felt like it had no backlash and there are wear marks on the teeth like it's been grinding, no idea how it lasted as long as it has.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xmas bonus...... LOL

This year, I have the opportunity to have a chance to win a spot prize as the company Xmas function where the food will be average (at best), the entertainment will be non existent.......

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Xmas bonus...... LOL

This year, I have the opportunity to have a chance to win a spot prize as the company Xmas function where the food will be average (at best), the entertainment will be non existent.......

Sweet deal! should I check I have that day off so I can come as your guest :rofl2::tease:

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yeah it's always good if you can do the pinion nut with the diff still in the car and the drive shafts still in lol. It's a pain if the diffs out but glad to hear you got the job done.

I have a spare lsd Centre that I'm going to try and tighten up one day. I'll do a write up if I get around to it. The diff shop I used to chat with said that the older v6 lsd centres are much more reliable because they're cup and cone not just cones on the spider gears Or something along those lines. Anyway there is a way to get the good bits out of the 78 centres and into the M80's to make then more reliable. So I wanna try that out one day too.

They do make them for you and sell them this shop. But they charge like 700 bucks so you'd be better off getting a trutrac lol. I'll keep a look out for some second hand centres though and one day give it a shot myself.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know how to mod the M80 with parts from the earlier centres. All you need is a set of friction cones from the early centre, then cut down the cones from the M80 centre to get the gears out and then shim it up like an early centre :)

Unfortunately looking at my LSD centre it looks like there is a lot of wear on the spider gears, not sure if it's recoverable or worth trying to repair Vs getting a truetrac centre. Looking at about NZ$850 for one of those here :( A couple of new cones are about $200 + shims + new pressure spring as the OEM one is **** and half the problem with the factory unit. I'll know more once I get it to work and give it a good soak in the wash bath.

If I remember to take some pics I'll throw them up in this thread for ya of the 2 different cone/gear configurations.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yeah man if you remember to get pics that would be great. It would he a good guide to have on here. There's allot of complaints about the factory LSD's which is understandable but the one in my VP has been great for around 5 years. If built, set up correctly and not abused in the wrong way the factory lsd's are no problem at all :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, I agree. The rebuild LSD in my old VN never gave any issues once rebuilt correctly (Steelie Gears in South Auckland NZ). I'm sure that it actually killed the original donor car (VP BT1 cop car)with a driver who wasn't aware of how it behaved :D

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Back into diff building!
I got a vice for Christmas, then realised that the rattle gun gets the ring gear bolts off easiest (so no need to buy a vice). Anyway, what do you two think of this wear pattern and 5thou lash:
Diff Lash.jpgDiff contact.jpg

P.S Vice did come in handy for holding the diff upright for setting/checking lash.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't really see a pattern in there. I tried marking blue but its hard to see a pattern as it just sort of smudges. Better off trying to find a place that sells that yellow paint type stuff for setting up gears.

Try this guy http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2698881 He's down your way.

Last edited: