Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VP - VZ] How To Put Together An IRS Diff DIY Style + How To Identify An LSD

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fixed link. I'll get back to you on the lash but it doesn't sound like it's enough.

My manual says 0.1 mm - 0.18 mm (0.0039" - 0.007") back lash. Should check at 4 places to make sure it's consistent around the full circumference of the ring gear.

So 5 thou should be fine :)

Last edited:

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I think you can use a little less lash than recommended. It's probably better than a little more. If you stray too much from the recommended though it can give you a whine. Because your diff Centre is sort of Floating around in there and not meshing good and you'll hear a noise when your diff is off load. And with too much lash it also gets real clunky.

I'd stay with the specs or a little Less. Hope that post made sense I've had a few cans haha.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I think you can use a little less lash than recommended. It's probably better than a little more. If you stray too much from the recommended though it can give you a whine. Because your diff Centre is sort of Floating around in there and not meshing good and you'll hear a noise when your diff is off load. And with too much lash it also gets real clunky.

I'd stay with the specs or a little Less. Hope that post made sense I've had a few cans haha.

I Dropped it to 4 thou this arvo. Might see what else I can find to check wear pattern with. I wonder how a common highlighter would work?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
For checking your pattern get some lapping paste. You just mix it with oil and and paint it on your crown wheel. It doesn't do you diff any harm either so you don't really have to worry about washing it off. Also don't forget to check your reverse pattern too. So it won't whine too much when your gearing down. But that's not as important so don't throw out your forward pattern trying to fix your off load of its out.

Is your diff irs? The good thing about them is if your lash is a bit out you can adjust it without taking the Centre off. So just set your lash to 4 or 5 and if it's a bit out when you go for a test drive it's not the end of the world. Unlike if you had a live axle and you have to pull it all to bits lol.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
that's the good things with these IRS diffs, it's very easy to adjust the lash :)

The guy in the link above has the proper stuff, he sells it in his bearing kits, will probably sell it separately but you would need to contact him.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Gave it another shot.
This time I lightly brushed on the blue. It actually shows wear now instead of smudging everywhere.
Coast side.jpgDrive side.jpg

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's kinda hard to tell in the pic so I don't wanna lead you a stray haha. Not sure if this is good or not but I once used some unmixed paint lol. You need something that's a bit thicker than what you're using. Just make sure to wash it off good if it's something you're not meant to be using. Like paint LOL.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's looking a bit better than before, can definitely see the leading edge but the back is still smudged so hard to see where the tooth ends.