Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP wagon mods advice please

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
I just bought my first ever commadore and I wish I'd done it 10 years ago!! Picked myself up a VP wagon with only 135 000 km's on the clock. I'm thinking about lowering it and getting some rims to make it look a bit better. Has anyone got any advice on what sort of springs and shocks I should get and the best place to get them?? Also is it worth upgrading the brakes? I'm not looking at going to overboard, just want a better ride and look with out going crazy.

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
ive got super lows spare if you want 2nd hand springs that are only 2 months old. i only changed them as i now have a v8 in my wagon aswell as airbags.
also have a look in my thread for ideas. theres plenty of mods you may like.

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
yeah I'm definetly interested. How much are you asking? I'll have a look at your thread for ideas, appreciate it mate

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how low is 'super low'? Are we talking defectable low? I don't want to be scraping out everywhere I drive, just looking for a better drive and look. Have driven cars that are too low before and it becomes a pain in the arse after a while. Are there any particular shocks you would recommend for them so I can have a hunt around? Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
With super low and ultra low springs,they are both probably illegal,you need a 10 cm clearance under the lowest part of your car(not sure if this excludes the exhaust system)for it to be legal... FE2 springs are the go,you can buy them brand new from holden for around $50 each front and back(live rear axle).The car will sit lower,but wont be that low that it ends up scraping an everything,and stuffing up all the underside of the car,Ive noticed a lot of guys who have heaps low springs fitted,end up with lots of rattles in their cars too,probably caused from the harsh ride from the low stiff springs...also you dont get bump steer from FE2 springs either unlike some lower ones..Its also worth buying new front struts and rear shocks at the same time,the rear shocks I use are monroe wylie heavy duty gas,which are about $120,the new FE2 front struts were about $99 each last time I bought some from the local holden dealer.If the car still feels "loose" after fitting new springs and struts/shocks,Id look at the bushes,Ive found the nolothane brand bushes are excellent,these make the car feel heaps "tighter" then the rubber bushes do,so it feels a lot better to drive,more direct in the steering and under braking,just way better all round.Some people complain about getting too harsh a ride from the urethane type bushes,but theyve probably got heaps low springs fitted as well.Ive found that with the FE2 springs,the nolothane bushes match them perfectly.I just need some adjustable swaybars now to dial out the understeer and get it handling neutral.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Bret jjj you cant keep giving advice that applies to vs models when threads are about vn/vp They have different suspension (especially rear end wagons) and different motors and gearboxes.

As for OP i have Ultra lows in back of my wagon the only things that scrapes is the tow bar which is no big deal as it only a tow bar. The ride is harsher than i like so id suggest lows or super lows at the most.

As for height my rims prolly tuck 25mm of tyre and id say overall drop was around 75mm. Supers are supposed to be about 50mm which should put tyre inline with gaurd.

Nedwob may i ask how much they bags setup cost im interested in going to them

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
i have never had problems with defects(touching wood) i havent been pulled over once for my ride hieght and im sure super lows will be ok with hieght wise. i also had ultra lows and still didnt have any dramas.(but could fail a rwc if tested) i now have airbags and still today no problems.
airbags could cost 600 to start withfor the rear only, but if your wanting upgrades and fronts like me it could cost you upto 8k