Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp wagon twin turbo

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by VPWAGZ, Jul 30, 2006.

1. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    hey guys ive got a vp wagon at the moment

im thinkin about twin turbo's are i dont think it would be that hard to do, and if i run small boost engine should handle it

they will b 2 small turbos what do u guys think?

i can do most of the work myself like mounting and making exhaust mani's etc

2. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
  3. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    thanks for that dude!

just had a read though it not alot of info in that link regarding actual mods needed!

would it be a good idea to run a surge tank? 2 fuel pumps? reg?
    is it hard to setup twins?

has any1 got actual pictures of twins on a v6 in a engine bay?
    greenfoam seems to know what hes talkin about

would you be able to post on pm me regards whats mods need to be done that your aware of?

chhers guys thanks

4. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
    Needed for buick:

upgrade injectors/fuel pump
    2 bar sensor
    manifolds
    turbos (duh)
    wastegates
    boost controller
    intercooler and plumbing
    run oil lines for turbos
    connect dump pipes to zorst
    tune (major part)

5. commy92

commy92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP WAGON V6
    i suggest you go single. Its actualy alot easierr to fabricate and will savee you lots of money. Basically you can keep your stock drivers side manifold and run a cross over pipe around the back of the engine. Then make your own passenger side manifold to connect to th cross over pipe then to the turbo. That way you say a bit of money there. The other thing you will save on is oil lines. Thats a good $500 saving there. The only problem being that the turbo is mounted on the wrong side for the throttle body. So you many want to make a custom plenum OR cut the 90deg bend up and turn it the other way and weld it up or run a heap of excess cooler pipe. Ide suggest you start with about 6psi on a single turbo setup. Get it all tuned up and do a few kms before upping the boost to i say 10. That is about the limit for a stocko buick motor. Then ide grab another set of heads and get some head work done. You dont need to get them ported but a REALLY good clean up and a polish woulnt go astraigh. As well as some good vavles and springs. Then dive a bit deeper down into the engine. Even better would be to look into a COME racing strocker short motor. I think that they are about 4k without heads. But they are a 4.1l With fully worked block which you can get already with the low compression pistons and stuff into.

I did a lot of research into this not to long ago, cause i WAS going to tubo my wagon. But ive decided against it now cause shes starting to get a bit of the old age disease.

6. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    thanks alot for that info mate if u have anymore info feel free to post it up good read i might do your idea as it seems alot easyer and both cylinder banks are still getting even amount of air so sounds like there no really great problem

the only problem i see will be turbo lag beacause of the cooler pipes having to cross back over to get to the throttle body!

ill see how i go

7. commy92

commy92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP WAGON V6
    Thats why i was going to make either a a custom inlet manifold or cut up the 90deg albow and turn it around. you could always put the turbo on the other side though. just not much room on that side. If you need to know anything just ask. Im not on here that much these days. Add me to msn if you like.

the.might.laser@gmail.com

Or send me a pm

8. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    yeah might look at puttin turbo on onther side or getting a custom cooler

9. What kinda power are you looking at getting after this??

10. PaRaDoX

PaRaDoX Because Racecouch...

Members Ride:
    none
    dude, move your battery to where the air box is, and move the air box where your battery was, so the air goes into the box, then across the front of the car into the cooler, then into the turbo after that into the TB...

or move the battery to the boot, single turbo would be easier

11. commy92

commy92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP WAGON V6
    mate sorry to tell you this but thats not going to matter where the airbox is. Cause its still gota run to the turbo. Most people would either put a doose pipe on the turbo or a pod bolted straight on it. Either that or a pod run striaght to some form of cold air.

Custom inlet manifold all the way. MAke the plenum a bit bigger and move the throttle body to the centre so the airflow is more constant at all inlet ports on the heads

12. mouce

mouce Physics Geek

Members Ride:
    VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
    Why go for a single t/b? If you're going for a twin turb setup, why not run a twin t/b setup? There are twin t/b manifolds available for the Buick V6, or you could make your own.

Have one turbo running into each t/b. That'd be nice.

13. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    im thinkin about goin single turbo now and placing the turbo on the drivers side then the pipe can run from turbo to intercooler then to throttle body no hassles!!

14. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    if the above theory is corrent ill go single

15. CSL

CSL Member

Members Ride:
    missus (in more ways than one)
    the thing about a turbo on the drivers side is the dump pipe wil hav to be quite small to fit between the main steering coupleing and the engine,

16. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    Just trying to think of the cheapest way out for you, Probably get a t04 s-trim sized turbo with like .60 compressor and .60ish turbine no more than .80. Weld upside down /chop cut the headers. Put the turbo on the passenger side, run a pipe from the drivers header around the front of the engine between the pulleys and the radiator with maybe a section of flexable exhaust pipe there infront of the engine so your pipes don't crack when they get hot. Dump pipe out the back of the passenger side. few bits of silicon joiner pipe stuff for your inlet, get a 2 bar map sensor and read read read how to tune it, intercooler would be good but still optional for low boostage

17. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    thanks for your reply mate

how do i go about tuning it? do i get some1 to redo my ecu or what?

thanks again ur a man with lots of info!

18. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    You'll have to tune it yourself, really that along with turbo selection are the two most difficult things, It will cost you heaps to have someone else do it. Even once you are good at tuning a NA car it could take you 20 re burns to get the turbo setup close enough to right, but you should get it safe to drive 1st go once you learn a bit about it. Read all the threads on here that have anything to do with memcals and eproms and tunerpro follow all the links and that should get you close to knowing all about it

19. commy92

commy92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP WAGON V6
    yeah. you couldnt put the turbo on the drivers side cause there is like no room down there. Except i suppose you could make your manifold with enough room to get ya dump pipe down there. Hmmm got me thinking again now. Im starting to think about turboing the wags again. But yeah, will need a full rebuild first.

20. VPWAGZ

VPWAGZ New Member

Members Ride:
    vp vactioner wagon
    if i mount the turbo on the passenger side how bout i i run a pipe from the drivers side manifold under the engine? to the other manifold

this seems like a good idea and the pipe will not be in front of the fan and engine in the engine bay! it will be under the engine then come back up to the other manifold turbo etc?