Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP

Glenn Parker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Berlina
Hi all the breather lines off the fuel tank have had it. Do i have to drop the tank to replace them or an easier way.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I lowered the tank to get at the connections on top of the tank. There may be an easier way. If I was doing the job today I'd replace the hoses with Gates Barricade.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
Yeah pretty much tank out job as the 3 on top are in the middle of the tank and the big one goes thru the floor pan bracing cut that one as close to the tank as possible and slide the tank towards the passengers side of the car till it's clear of the body other wise you can crack the silver solder on the fitting into the tank and it will leak defeating the whole point of replacing them
When you put the tank back in put the thick one on the tank leave it longer than it needs to be poke it thru the floor pan bracing and pull it thru as you back the tank back up into place and fit to cut to length and fit to the filler neck just before it's all the way home as there isn't much hand room up there when the tanks in

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
Get a mate to help you makes the whole job easier if you have a hand to steady the tank while you guide it up and in while it's balancing on a trolly jack and make it as empty as possible the fuel sloshing around is a pain I usually drop the whole tank out wash them out and give them a quick paint job while I'm at it and make sure the rubbers on the top side are in the right spot with a bit of urathane

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yes drop it enough to get hands in there & to be able to look around.

Takes longer but easier to take whole thing out & give it all a good clean + replace everything.

Make sure tank is empty or low on fuel...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I have done a couple of wagons and its fairly easy,just mark or photgraph where the old lines fit,IIRC i took off the rear Drivers Side wheel and went from there,about 1-2 hour job.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I have done a couple of wagons and its fairly easy,just mark or photgraph where the old lines fit,IIRC i took off the rear Drivers Side wheel and went from there,about 1-2 hour job.
If you have nimble hands that can get at the 3 vent hose connections on top of the tank

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The overflow is fun one goes between chassis rail & boot floor.

If it's never been out before marvel at all the dirt & pebbles on top haha

Glenn Parker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Berlina
All done had to find the time, wow what a job, was able to drop the tank down enough to get my hands in to replace the 2 hoses.