Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vq 5ltr fuel issues

oldens

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman / vc wagon
hi all, i have this unknown quantity vq thats been giving us a few headaches, its not standard not sure whats been done to it exactly, i got it because of these issues i have had it 12 months, i took it to a workshop as it wouldnt run properly and this is what was done to make it go not too bad, (it does crack) it has big injectors, the guys said they have not seen before a fuel pump that pumps as much fuel as the one it has the base timing had to be set at 17 degrees! The pressure pumps have been removed all it has is this big high pressure internal fuel pump going through the fuel damper and into the rails! it runs well and on the open road it gets great fuel economy but on full kick from stationary even though the lines are bigger she keeps suckin em dry! My question is can i bypass the fuel damper as well? its meant to be there if there is a low pressure internal fuel pump and high pressure external pump to stop pulsating between the 2 pumps but as i said all it has is a big high pressure internal pump so i was thinking maybe the damper is restricting the flow which is what the pressure pumps at the rails were doing to start with. PS it was at a proper workshop with all the gear when it went not at a backyarders cheers

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I honestly have trouble reading & understanding that.
From what I can gather, you are asking if you can get rid of the fuel dampener ?

If so the answer is yes. The only reason the fuel dampener is there, is to dampen the fuel line hammer you get from the injectors pulsing. So if you can put up with that noise, you can get rid of the dampener. Just make sure you aren't confusing the dampener with the regulator.

oldens

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman / vc wagon
thanks i am talking about the damper, there are no regulators on it at all

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
hi all, i have this unknown quantity vq thats been giving us a few headaches, its not standard not sure whats been done to it exactly, i got it because of these issues i have had it 12 months, i took it to a workshop as it wouldnt run properly and this is what was done to make it go not too bad, (it does crack) it has big injectors, the guys said they have not seen before a fuel pump that pumps as much fuel as the one it has the base timing had to be set at 17 degrees! The pressure pumps have been removed all it has is this big high pressure internal fuel pump going through the fuel damper and into the rails! it runs well and on the open road it gets great fuel economy but on full kick from stationary even though the lines are bigger she keeps suckin em dry! My question is can i bypass the fuel damper as well? its meant to be there if there is a low pressure internal fuel pump and high pressure external pump to stop pulsating between the 2 pumps but as i said all it has is a big high pressure internal pump so i was thinking maybe the damper is restricting the flow which is what the pressure pumps at the rails were doing to start with. PS it was at a proper workshop with all the gear when it went not at a backyarders cheers

thanks i am talking about the damper, there are no regulators on it at all

i used to drive a truck and every now and again i loaded it at valvoline in sydney, one day i asked three fellas that were walking around in white coats why it was that when i used valvoline in one of my cars it seemed to use quite a bit of it and the reply was and this is fair dinkum BECAUSE WE AT VALVOLINE BELIEVE CHEAPER IS BETTER! this from the blokes that make the ****

wow.....white coats, proper workshops at 17 degrees, no regulator..........uummmmmmmm

Last edited:

oldens

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman / vc wagon
all i meant about proper workshops mate was a place that had the equipment to check things out, because without pulling the motor down to see what has been done to it makes it hard to work out whats wrong, the base timing on these things is meant to be 10 degrees but this wont run properly at that at 17 degrees it runs allright but we have fuel supply problems so i thought i would ask the question on here because i dont think it should even run how its set up but then unlike some i dont know everything................. The men in white coats at valvoline was a real conversation and that is what they said i assume they were the people making the oil and i am just telling you what they said...... now if you can tell me why the timing would need to be set at that and what i need to do to sort out the fuel supply problems i am all ears because nobody else seems to have any answers not even the men in white coats

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you must have a regulator somewhere.... or the engine will over-fuel in a major way
Usually the regulator sits on the back end of the drivers side fuel rail

Danndogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ hsv sv200
Hoo no where to buy damper the 1 near the fuel pump