Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq caprice a.c. rebuild

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
I've had a search around the forum but can't find the answers I'm looking for I'm rebuilding a climate control unit for my vq caprice 5lt I can't find new vn vp vq evaporator unit available is it possible to use vr vs evaporator unit and use vr vs pipes condensor air dryer ect with vq 5lt a.c. compressor and the flexible lines
As you can see by the picture some one has made clearance for the extra loom with a ball peen hammer cause it's all under the dash instead of in the engine bay

Attachments

• 20200624_182809.jpg
    20200624_182809.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 233

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah VP evaporator will be very hard to find new. Basically impossible to find one.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah hence why I'm asking about vr vs cause I can get one of those new and from holding a vq one and a vr one next to each other the only difference I can see is the fitting size and how they bolt on just don't want to spend $200 plus on a pos that won't do what I want it to and I don't like my chances of finding a decent vq one

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The difference with a VR one is it has a TX valve. Not sure about Stato but VP Exec doesn't have it or at least not in the same spot as VR. I just had a VP box fitted to my VR Exec and it took some work. But the evap was a fair bit different when I removed it from the donor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't know why there are no aftermarket options for them, people still drive VQs and VPs. I damaged the one I took out or you could have had it.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Too old for decent aftermarket support and to young for restoration support and I doubt most people driving vn vp don't really care that much if the a.c. works I'm like that but I figure if I'm going to the effort of putting a whole new heater box in and new loom I may as well do the a.c. while I'm at it if I can get the parts

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably worth chatting to the bloke who will do your regas to see if it can be done. I know fitting the VP heater box was achievable with some mods. But I didnt need change my piping just heater box mods. If you have the dash out you be crazy not to get it working. The one thing about early 90s evaps is they are fairly robust. A good SH unit might be ok. Does your Stato have a TX valve?

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'm using a complete vq statesman series 2 v8 set up to fix it so fitting it all won't be a problem I just have a vr climate control unit sitting there as well I pinched the heater core out of and was looking at thinking if they would work

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty sure all vn vp vq vg vr vs a.c. units are orifice not tx valve they both do the same thing roughly just in different ways

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nope, VR and VS has a TX valve that sits on top of the evap where the pipes go under the wiper plenum. I just had one fitted along with my new core and evap. The VP evap was just plain orrifice but it was an Exec.