Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq caprice a.c. rebuild

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
When he vacs it down to purge they system he will hold the vacuum for a while before filling and if it can't hold a vacuum then he will put some gas in to push the uv dye out of the leak
Then suck the gas back out and from there I'll be able to fix whats leaking

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
When he vacs it down to purge they system he will hold the vacuum for a while before filling and if it can't hold a vacuum then he will put some gas in to push the uv dye out of the leak
Then suck the gas back out and from there I'll be able to fix whats leaking
I generally ask that the vacuum be held overnight for any AC repairs- and mine have not been on the evaporator. It's a bastard of a job fixing around the evaporator if you put it all back together and miss a slow leak.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it can be a pain but holding vacuum on an old system can cause leaks as well as the system is use to being pressurized and putting it under vacuum can cause metal fatigue on the fine tubes in the condensor and evaporator it's a catch 22 with older systems
I'll be using a new evaporator and probs and new condensor and I'll be pressure checking the lines with compressed air and some soapy water before putting them in

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you'll be right because it will be unlikely for the brand new evap to leak. If it does leak it will most likely be at the TX valve and that's an easy enough fix. Everything else will be accessible. Check the liquid line nuts they can corrode at the condensor and leak.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
With a new tx valve and o rings through out the system I doubt I'll have any leaks any thing that remotely looks a bit meh I'll be replacing

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I've used this urethane foam to re do the ins and outs of the heater box Took all but 5cm of the 5m to do the inside flaps have to cut it in half to do the small fleet vents on either side and the face vents in the middle up the to didn't do the hot cold mix flap as the foam tape on it was in perfect condition
It was 7 something dollars from bunnings in the door and window seal isle for the 19mm wide 6mm thick might not be the best thing avalable but its got to seal better than the glue backing of what was left of the original foam tape

Attachments

• 20200629_144458.jpg
    20200629_144458.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 141

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I could be up for a new evaporator. Did the VS evaporator and TX valve work in the end.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
With a new tx valve and o rings through out the system I doubt I'll have any leaks any thing that remotely looks a bit meh I'll be replacing
Hi Mike,
I'm replacing my VQ evaporator now. Did the VS evaporator work in your AC system ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi Mike,
I'm replacing my VQ evaporator now. Did the VS evaporator work in your AC system ?

Yay you found the thread.